My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, May 14

To Catch a Theif & Fainting Puppies

1. They caught part of the breakin crew. The person we thought was involved right from the start? Was involved. The 15 yr old son of a friend. On one hand I feel relief because we weren't randomly chosen for the breakin but, on the other hand, I feel sadness for the whole situation. It's awkward for everyone.

2. I should be picking up my new laptop either tomorrow or Friday. It is an HP instead of a Dell because I didn't want to have to wait the week or two it would have taken Dell to deliver one. I ordered it at Future Shop today. They are loading XP on it before I pick it up. I will also be picking up a lock which will secure it to a hardened steel anchor on the floor beside my chair. I ended up losing all the pictures I'd taken from last July until just before Niagara Falls. They hadn't been saved on my stick. *pout*

3. We've installed an alarm system in the house and the garage. It cost us a bunch of money but at least we can feel better about leaving the house now.

4. As we were getting close to home tonight I said to Dusterboy, "I've got that feeling again. What will we find tonight when we pull in the yard?" I get that queasy feeling every night now when we approach home. Tonight we found an OPP cruiser in the yard. I was glad we got there when we did or we would have missed him again. He and I have been playing telephone tag all week. He seems excited about the new leads to follow.

5. I'm going to the cottage for the long weekend on Friday where I plan to drink massive amounts of alcohol and do very little work.

6. Holly scared the bejebus out of me on Monday. I got home at 5pm after stopping at Future Shop for estimates on a replacement laptop. She had an appointment at 6:3o at the groomer's. When I walked in the door the phone was ringing and it was "Fucking Idele" the groomer. She asked me to bring Holly up right away. I grabbed Holly, jumped in the car and headed to town. Holly KNEW where I was taking her and started shaking and panting. By the time I got to the big hill (Carey and Breezy might remember it) Holly was sitting on my lap with her front paws on the window. All of a sudden, when I was at a spot on the hill where there's no place to pull over, Holly went limp and fell over. I managed to catch her without crashing the car over the cliff, put on my signal light and slow down safely to stop on the hill. The car behind me went around me and I tried to revive Holly. I thought she was dead. Her eyes opened and she slowly came around. I think she hyperventilated and passed out. Who knew dogs fainted?

7. Michelle, my dialysis friend, isn't doing well. She's been in hospital for a couple days and is finally home tonight. It's not good. Tonight is her sister's anniversary (Howie & Nicky) and I think she just wanted Nicky to go home to Howie tonight.

8. My Mom and Dad are in Branson on a bus trip. They weren't sure if they'd be able to go because when they got home from Niagara my Mom's heartbeat was irregular for a day. It scared us all because a year ago, just before their scheduled trip to Branson that they ended up cancelling, my Dad had some heart issues. So far so good. Sure glad it wasn't anything serious.

9. I really miss my Microsoft Money. I'm lost without it. It won't be long before I start bouncing checks all over town. Yes, I'm one of those anal folks that records every single transaction. *grin*

10. What would you do if your wedding rings were stolen? Would you want to replace them with something very similar or would you go for something completely different? I already have an anniversary ring that I wear every day. I'll have approx. $1200 to work with and I don't know what to do. I wish I could just take the cash.

8 Comments:

Blogger Breezy said...

Do they think they can recover anything?

*hugs*

*giggle* I would be lost LOST without my Quicken. I track every single penny of my money. These days you need to, costs have risen so high need to see where I can make cuts.

*smooch* I truly think it's up to you and Dusterboy what to do about the rings.

Thu May 15, 08:59:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Breezy said...

LOL oh and I totally read that as painting puppies... and was disappointed when I got to the end and no puppies were painted. *grin*

Thu May 15, 08:59:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Tummy said...

I hope Michelle does well, lightsey! And that your Mom and Dad have fun.

I give Diesel Clomipramine when storms come in and put his DAP collar on, it might help with Holly's anxiety about going to the groomer.

Glad you know who broke into your house, but sad that it was a neighbor's kid. That's tough.

About the rings - how about having something made? Some design that you both come up with together.

Breezy's a dufe. *double grin

Thu May 15, 11:19:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Bravie said...

The ring thing is up to you. For me? I would keep the cash. You could replace the rings but they wouldn't be you rwedding rings. so really, they would just be rings. If you wear an anniversary ring already, then why not keep the cash. Maybe use it to celebrat your marriage in some way. A trip you'll both remember forever? A romantic gift that you can both enjoy for years to come?
*hugs* for Holly.

Thu May 15, 11:25:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Swami said...

1. Yay for catching someone! Bummer it's your friends' kid. Kids are idiots when they 'go bad' (for lack of a better phrase). I know of several people who have been robbed by their neighbor's kid. I think that's where cops look first. Our neighbors son (down-the-road-a-bit neighbors) robbed the only little grocery store in town with his best friend. They were caught, put on Juvie Probation or something and promptly robbed the same store again! Within a few weeks! Then they got to go to Juvie Hall for a few years. Well deserved.

2. Tries to imagine what such a lock looks like. Fails.

3. And safer walking into the house after an absence too.

4. I hope the OPP catches everyone involved! Did you ever get any stuff back?

5. You do that every weekend, right? *runs*

6. I've never heard of a dog fainting. Hyperventilating, drooling and pawing/scratching all over in dread - but not fainting. I'm glad you didn't go off the cliff! *spanks Lightsie for driving with a dog on her lap, a la Britney*

7. I hope Michelle improves.

8. Branson is the last place in the world I would want to visit. Seriously.

9. I don't know MicrosoftMoney, but like Breezy I love my Quicken!

10. Tom and I have never had wedding rings and we have lived in perfect wedded bliss without them. (I think because it was a second marriage for both of us we didn't feel constrained to get traditional rings. We bought a bigger house instead.)

If you miss having an engraved ring then by all means get a new one! I love the heirloom jewelery dept some stores have, where you can buy "grandma's rings" for much less than new ring price. There are some rings with gorgeous worksmanship for sale there. We almost got rings for out 10th anniversary from an heirloom dept., but then bought something else instead.

If you do get rings I think you should tie them to an anniversary and do a ring-exchange ceremony at the cottage or something. Then drink the massive amounts of liquor you mentioned in (5.).

Fri May 16, 11:20:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger MM said...

I like Carey's idea about the money... and you never know, the rings may still be recovered, so maybe you should wait and see.

{{hugs}}

Fri May 16, 01:04:00 p.m. EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Sorry Lightsy. *hugs*

2. I sometimes freak out at the thought of losing photos. It's one of those things I need to put on a list of things to do if I ever have 10 days just to do things like that.

3. I have often thought of this. I really think about it when something bad happens to someone else or when Michael is gone, and I'm up late not being able to sleep.

4. I need to go and figure out what this means.

5. Hopefully you had a great time.

6. It makes sense, but I agree, Who knew? *hugs for Hollie*

7. *sending good thoughts your way*

8. Yay! I'm glad they are okay.

9. Surprisingly I am so bad about my bank account these days. I used to balance everything to the penny. But in 2005 before I had an assistant, I got so so so so so busy that I let that slip and never recovered. I'm pretty diligent about keeping up with things using my online banking, but deep down that's not enough for me.

10. Hard decision. I would probably replace what I had, but I might wait a while to make sure they are not recovered.

Mon May 19, 09:32:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Puffy said...

*hugs* You sure have a lot on your plate. Did the boy you know rob your house with someone else? Is he not fessing up on the identity of the other person? Did this kid have any of your stuff?

Sorry about your missing pictures on the computer.

I'd be scared every time I returned home, too. I had to google OPP: Ontario Provincial Police.

Poor little Holly. Could you find a groomer to come to the home?

*hugs and good wishes for your friend, Michelle*

I keep track of all my money, too.

Wedding rings? Maybe they'll be found; don't know what to tell you. You've had good suggestions here.

Tue May 20, 09:05:00 p.m. EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home