My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Friday, March 7

Doggie Downers

It's been a rough week for us. Last Thursday we left home to spend the weekend with my niece and nephew while my sister was away. We had to pack everything Wednesday night because when we left Thursday morning at 6am we wouldn't be coming home again until Sunday. Holly would come with us, of course. It was -33C that morning as we packed the car and headed to my sister's house. We dropped Holly off and went to work and then I had a hair appointment after work. It was around 6pm by the time we got back there. When we did get back I noticed that Holly just wasn't herself. She was shaking and panting and we thought she might have an upset tummy. We tried to get her to play but she just wanted to lay around and she kept sticking her butt up in the air.

Friday night she was still acting strange and we called the vet. They couldn't get us in then but said we could bring her by on Saturday morning. She still wouldn't play and was still shaking and panting. Saturday morning she seemed a little better so we decided not to take her to the vet. She's had these bouts of shaking before and we always thought she had a sore belly. This time we wondered if she was having some anxiety about being away from home. She really doesn't like change. All our renovations seem to put her into a spin and lately she's just one big ball of nerves.

Saturday we went curling and by the time we got home she seemed to be feeling better. On Sunday afternoon we packed up and were getting ready to head home when I saw her chewing on something. This is where the story may be a little graphic. Sorry. I reached to see what she was chewing on and it looked like a piece of liver was in the corner of her mouth. I touched it and it seemed to be attached and then it went back into her mouth as she swallowed it. My fingertips were tinged red where I'd touched "the thing". I had gone out to a bar with some friends the night before so I was feeling tired and a little zombieish *waves @ Zombs* when this happened and I was almost hesitant to tell Dusterboy.

On the way home Holly was really freaky. She doesn't like going in the car much these days and it seems that longer trips really freak her out. She was pacing and panting and shaking until I finally put her on the floor and tried to ignore her. I've been reading that you shouldn't react to your dog when they're scared. If you do, you just confirm that there's something to be afraid of.

I told Dusterboy about "the thing" on the way home and told him it kind of looked like liver and was about the size of my thumb. She settled down Sunday night and seemed to be okay most of the week but still not completely herself. She was eating and drinking and playing a little but not 100%.

Yesterday morning she started to hack around 5:30am and "the thing" poked out again. Of course, Dusterboy didn't see it but when he took her out for her pee she threw up blood. We called the emergency line and they told us to bring her in. I was totally freaked out and cried most of the way to town. I dropped Dusterboy off at work and then took her to the hospital. While we were admitting her she threw up a large amount of blood and "the thing" appeared again. Again, only I saw it.

They told me to call by noon if I didn't hear from them. I went in to work but I was a basket case. My eyes were red, puffy and sore from all the crying. I called after lunch and the vet told me that he had no idea what "the thing" was but suggested it might be a blot clot. He said that Holly had some type of ulcer in her stomach and that was causing the blood. They started her on two different meds and wanted to keep her until 6:30pm to keep and eye on her.

We discussed possible causes and I told him about how stressed she is all the time. She shakes during thunder, she shakes when the power goes off and then again when it comes back on. She shakes when a camera flashes. She shakes for firecrackers and loud noises. She shakes in the car. It's getting ridiculous. She's afraid of everything! I asked about something to settle her down and he said he'd get me something to try when necessary. I don't want her on it all the time, just when necessary. Holly now has her own special doggie downers. Too bad the vet couldn't give me some.

We picked her up and paid the bill - $414 - and talked more to the vet. He said she was fine all day and didn't throw up anymore. He said to call if "the thing" appeared again and to call in on Monday to let him know how she was making out. She was very calm on the way home. I think she was pretty wiped out from her day at the hospital.

This morning we gave her the meds and she started hacking and "the thing" came out again. I couldn't believe that Dusterboy still hasn't seen it. I'm having friggen' nightmares about this and he still hasn't seen it once. It's so disturbing. I called the vet again and he said the only other option is to sedate her and try looking down her throat to see what it is. They don't have a scope at their hospital ($3o,000 to buy one) so sedating her would be the only option. That would cost more money but I'm really disturbed by "the thing". He suggested we see how the weekend goes before we decide.

Tonight I'm sitting here with my baby girl curled up at my feet. Every half hour or so I give her a little cuddle and tell her Mommy loves her. I can't even think about losing her. All week I've been saying I'm never getting another dog. Then last night at the vet's there was this 8 wk old little puppy that we were playing with and it reminded me of Holly when she was a baby and my position softened a little. Now I'm going to say that I'm never going to look at another puppy because that leads to wanting one.

I'm so worried about my baby girl...

18 Comments:

Blogger Kimmah said...

(((lightsy))) I hope she get well soon.

Fri Mar 07, 09:05:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

*hugs* I'm thinking of you and Holly. And sending good thoughts your way. *smooch*

Fri Mar 07, 09:33:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Zombs said...

Oh no...that is so scary. Could it be her tonsils or something? Do dogs have tonsils? Maybe from the hacking?

It is so scary cause those cuties can't tell us what is wrong.

I;ll be thinking of you and HOlly.

*hugs*

Fri Mar 07, 09:37:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Oh Lights, I hope Holly stays okay this weekend! She's such a sweetheart! (I didn't know she was scared of so many things.)

I have no clue what the throat "thing" might be...

Fri Mar 07, 11:01:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Puffy said...

I'm choked up about your Holly and the vet. I hope they find out what it is and make her all better. *hugs for you and gentle hugs for Holly*

Sat Mar 08, 01:34:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Thanks for all the hugs. They're definately appreciated. Holly's doing a lot of sleeping. No more throwing up, no more "things". Hopefully the meds are working. She's just not herself though. Maybe that's to be expected.

It's been a rough couple days for her and we have to give her meds twice a day which is not one of her favourite things to do.

Sat Mar 08, 03:47:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Schnookie said...

*BIG HUGS*

I can imagine how frightened you are Lightsy. Poor Holly! Sending you all lots of love and good thoughts. I sure hope she gets better quick. Very strange indeed. I have no idea what it could be.

Sat Mar 08, 07:36:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Sunday night...she seems to be getting a little better. Still not completely herself but she did run after the ball a couple times today. She had a little hack after running a bit but the foamy stuff she spit up was completely white. No more blood. That made Mommy feel much better.

I'll be so glad when I don't have to give her the liquid medicine anymore. She hates it and so do I!

Still no idea what "the thing" is. I may end up being a mystery. When she has hacked today nothing appeared so maybe it's gone. *crosses fingers*

Sun Mar 09, 08:30:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Kimmah said...

Whew! I'm so glad she's improving, hon. I hope she stays on the upswing.

Sun Mar 09, 11:48:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Puffy said...

It's strange that the vet wouldn't know what "the thing" might be. I'm glad that she's doing better. Thanks for updating.

Are you anywhere near the town that Surveysez lived in? Her daughter is getting married this summer and wants to know if any "bloggy buddies" of Survey's could come to her wedding.

Mon Mar 10, 12:23:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Breezy said...

*hugs* for Lightsy and Holly.

Mon Mar 10, 09:41:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger momma said...

*big hugs for Lightsy*

*gentle puppy hugs for Holly*

Mon Mar 10, 10:12:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Ack. I'm sorry. I'm weirded out by "the thing," too.

I hope she continues to get better over the next few days. *hugs*

Mon Mar 10, 10:18:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger MM said...

Oh Lights, I'm so sorry you've been going through this!

Please keep us updated. I'm sending lots of love and get well thoughts!

{{hugs}}

Wed Mar 12, 02:08:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

How is Holly today?

Wed Mar 12, 09:46:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

*gentle pats for Holly*

I hope she is feeling better! I can't imagine how I'll react if my beagle has sick issues... I rejected getting a dog for a long time, but we've now had him for almost two years!

Wed Mar 12, 12:05:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger lights said...

Seems like all the good thoughts have worked! Holly is back to her happy, playful self and I? am so relieved! Thanks for all the good thoughts and wishes. *smooooch*

Holly sends puppy licks to everyone!

Wed Mar 12, 06:27:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger thndrkttn said...

I just saw this today. I would have FREAKED.OUT. Thank goodness she's feeling better. Is the thing gone yet? I agree with what Zombs said about being able to tell us why they don't feel well.

Fri Mar 14, 07:12:00 a.m. EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home