My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, January 30

Winter can go now...

...I've had enough. Yesterday it was pouring rain and a few degrees above zero. This morning we had a flash freeze warning and whiteout conditions. The snow has been blowing sideways all day. Power was out when we got home so out came the generator. Power just came back on. Hope it stays on all night.

Seeing as I haven't updated since before Christmas I should probably give you all an update on what's been going on in the Great White North.

~ We got our new tv for Christmas and a dishwasher. The tv (42" Panasonic Plasma) is now mounted on the wall and we bought the HD satelite receiver for it so our friends had better not complain about watching tv at our place anymore. *grin* The dishwasher is installed and is very quiet compared to the old one. It was a door crasher special for $200 so I was concerned that it might be loud but I hardly even hear it running.

~ The trim is finished around our windows finally and I ordered new drapes for the DR window. The kitchen/DR are painted Hunter Green on the bottom (3') and Daquiri Ice (think margarita colour) on the top. The drapes are called Chili Red. Next step is to rip out the pink carpet and replace it with laminate flooring.

~ Our kitchen floor has to be repaired which means we have to disconnect the water lines to the kitchen sink in order to move the cupboards away from the wall. We had a leak under the sink that warped the flooring so we have to replace it. We'll save that job for this summer while we're staying at the cottage. When we get it repaired we're going to put down the "ceramic look" laminate flooring. We would have gone for real ceramic but we don't have a basement and the floor would be cold unless we put in radiant heating.

~ Dusterboy's brother is recuperating after falling off the ladder and breaking his hip. There is a benefit dance planned on February 23rd, much to his chagrin. He will be at least six months before he can even think about going back to work. I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to work as a mechanic again.

~ Dusterbaby broke his ankle three weeks ago when a porch he was dismantling fell on him. He went to the doctor this week and they discovered that another bone (the smaller of the tibia and fibia) was also broken.

~ Volleyball has taken up a lot of my time lately. Still playing on Tuesday nights and I've spent a couple weekends watching the highschool team play in tournaments. I can't tell you how much I love this game! I really hope I can continue to play for many more years. I bought a new pair of volleyball shoes and promised Dusterboy they'd be the last pair I'd ever have to buy. *giggle*

~ My 16 year old nephew called me at work yesterday. He didn't know my phone number and had to look it up on the internet because it's hard to find in the phone book. Then he had to navigate through the voice mail hell to get to my extension. He was home because he's in the middle of exams. He asked me what I was doing for lunch on Thursday or Friday and asked if I would come to his house for lunch. I had to explain that I only had a half hour and it would take me that long to drive to and from his place but that we were coming to his place for pizza on Thursday night. He hadn't been told about that yet so he was okay with that. What a sweet kid he is. I just love that kid!

~ On the way home tonight we heard "Centerfield" by John Fogerty. Dave said that song made him want to go home and pull out the album to play it. I said it made me want to play baseball. That? demonstrates just how different we really are. *grin*

~ Anyone watching Moment of Truth? Is there ANY amount of money that you'd agree to to go on that show?

~ We have two curling bonspeils coming up in the next month or so. Go ahead, laugh at the crazy Canuckian.

~ I really miss the MIA bloggers. Hope you're all well and will check in once in a while. *hugs*

8 Comments:

Blogger Puffy said...

Yay for a nice, long, juicy update!
I can't even imagine all the extra work and time involved with living in a cold, snowy weather climate.

I bet you love your new TV! We're getting one next week and it'll be mounted on the wall, too. I also want a new dishwasher. You got a great deal on it!

Is the trim on your windows the metal or wood frame? I want to replace mine. The paint colors sound really nice. Can you post pictures here?

The ceramic-look laminate flooring sounds interesting. I'll have to check into it.

Two brothers with broken bones? Ouch!

"Centerfield" by John Fogerty is one of my favorite songs!

I had to google "bonspiel." Anyone want to know what it is? *grin*

I miss the MIA bloggers, too. *smooch to you all*

Thu Jan 31, 02:12:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger yvonne said...

Hi Lightsy, you crazy curling canuck!

*smooch*

Thu Jan 31, 07:34:00 p.m. EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I hear "Centerfield," I think of a lazy day/evening at our local ball park. This season will be the last season of Braves baseball in Richmond. They are moving to Atlanta. Our stupid City wouldn't give them the field they needed to stay.

I keep wondering when Michael will decide it's time for us to get one of the wall-mounted TVs.

Fri Feb 01, 10:58:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger mtw said...

LOL. I read "Centerfield" as "centerfold" (J. Geils Band). I guess you know where MY mind is! (and I wondered why it made you want to play baseball!)

What the hell is a "bonspeil"? Crazy Canucks!

Moment of Truth - watched half an episode and found it supremely boring. No, I can't imagine going on that show for any amount of money.

Fri Feb 01, 07:34:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Puffy, the trim is wood. First we had to cut and paint the trim around the glass, then cut and stain the trim for the wall around the window. I'll post some pictures when I get the flooring in. Trust me, the pink carpet does nothing for the colour scheme. *grin*

Summahchick! You can do better than that with your mocking! *smoooch*

So Boo, you're saying "Build it and they will stay?" I was not big on the "mounted on the wall" idea at first but I LOVE it now. I'm even thinking he should drill a hole in the wall to run the cords behind it. For now they're in one of those wire cover stips. Maybe if it was painted the same colour as the wall it wouldn't stand out so much.

Why am I not surprised, MTW? *wink*
Bonspeil = Curling + Tournament
I always thought curling was stupid until I tried it a few times. The first couple of times I still thought it was stupid. These are both funspeils. I'm sure you can figure that one out. *grin* Strictly for fun and prizes. Drinking is not only encouraged but mandatory.

Not enough money in the world for me to go on MOT! Skeletons. Closet. *wink*

Fri Feb 01, 09:14:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

Wow girl. When you update, you really update. *grin*
Did we do curling when I was there? Does it involve Poutine?
Where is the tv mounted. Since I've been to your house, I want to be able to picture where it is. *grin*

Sun Feb 03, 10:11:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

No, silly Carey, it wasn't Curling Season while you were here. You'd have to come back during the winter to experience curling. *grin*

Poutine could be involved, as lunch between games. Did you know that in curling there's a rule that the winners have to buy the losers a drink after the game? Makes losing all that much better!

Do you remember where the tv was before? In the black entertainment centre beside the fireplace? The tv is on the wall between the fireplace and the window. The entertainment centre is on the other side of the window for the moment until I decide what to do with it. It's mostly just a junk collector.

Sun Feb 03, 12:44:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Boy when you update - you update!

We have not had much ice & freezing rain this year - hardly at all. Now I know where it all went! To Lightsland!

I want a big screen TV! But we have to get a new computer first. (My current main TV is 36" so I am not really suffering.)

I would never get ceramic floors in my kitchen. They're too hard. Everything you drop breaks every time. Laminate is a much better choice.

Ouchie on the broken bones! Poor babies. (Dusterbaby is your son, right?)

I would not go on Moment of Truth for anything! Too much truth can be a bad thing, lol.

Curling is really fun to watch. You can pick up the excitement pretty quick. You just can't pick up the stones. Dang those things are heavy!!!

Mon Feb 04, 10:23:00 a.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home