My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, February 15

Checking in...

Sorry about disappearing on you all. It wasn't planned, it just happened. First the good news, no mole sightings since mole #6 was eliminated on Saturday morning around 5am.

I've had a crappy week so far. I'm not sure if it was the shovelling on Sunday or the computer issues at work that have caused my neck to freak out, but freak out it has. I've had neck problems for years and probably always will. We were in a car accident in 1987 and I've had problems ever since. This time of year is especially bad due to the frost heaves in the highway that make every trip to work and back feel like a rollercoaster ride. I've tried physio, chiro, accupuncture, drugs but it always comes back when I'm stressed or overdo it.

On Monday I discovered that the new printer I bought won't print purchase orders from our craptastic software program so I've been on the phone with the computer gurus trying to solve the problem. Today I found out that the software for the purchase orders is DOS based and the printer won't work with DOS applications so my shiney new printer has been packed up and is ready to go back. Now I have to find another one that will work with DOS.

Tuesday we tried to move the printer that prints orders from our other computer system. Yes, we have two computer systems. The old system we use for inventory wasn't Y2K compatible so we got a new program for accounting but kept the old one for inventory. We fool the old system into being Y2K compatible by telling it that it's 1978 this year. *rolls eyes* I work for such a Mickey Mouse company. When we tried to move the printer to my office it fucked up three monitors and it won't print anything period. This is causing massive confusion because all our customer orders are printed on this system and the boss is having quite a hissy fit about it.

The bright spot on Tuesday arrived in the form of a beautiful arrangement of flowers from Dave. There are two roses, a couple Stargazer lillies (my absolute most favorite flower), some fresia (which smells soooooo wonderful) with babies breath and greens. I wish he hadn't spent the money on it but I did appreciate the thought. I wasn't expecting anything and would have been completely okay with no flowers. I did feel a little guilty because I didn't get anything for him. I reminded myself that there were many years that I gave him presents and got nothing in return so that eased my guilt. *grin*

When the flowers arrived I had a moment of panic and thought that I should tip the delivery person but then I remembered that I never received any tips when I delivered flowers for the same florist and I got over it. I did notice that the vase was packed in a box that made less tippy for the delivery person. I never had that luxury when I was delivering for them.

Jamie called last night to wish me Happy VDay and asked me if Dave and I wanted to go ice fishing on the weekend. I asked what time they go out and he said around 6am. Am I crazy for even considering going? I sure would like some walleye in the freezer.

In other news, they're calling for another foot or so of snow tomorrow. Yay! We haven't even cleared all the snow from the last two storms at the cottage yet and we're in for another one. I'm officially over winter.

I don't know if I'll have time to catch up on everyone's blogs. I'll try to peak in and see what's up but please forgive me if I'm a little light on the commenting this week. *smoooches*

24 Comments:

Blogger mtw said...

Hey, I missed you!

*smooch*

Wed Feb 15, 06:59:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

Thank you for checking in. *smooch*
I'm sorry about your neck and the printer and the snow and the stomrs and winter. Take care of yourself and get better. *smoooooooch*

Wed Feb 15, 07:11:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

*smooches*

Too bad about the neck & printer things.

The flowers sound nice! Don't you feel one bit guilty at all!

You are not crazy for going fishing. Do it. Have fun!

I'll take care of MTW while you're gone. *evil grin*

Thu Feb 16, 08:42:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Breezy said...

*smooch* Take care of yourself.

Thu Feb 16, 09:02:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Blogger ate my long, thoughtful reply so I'll just say sa-mooch & I hope your pain in the neck gets better.

Thu Feb 16, 09:28:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I would really love to go ice fishing sometime. I think it sounds like fun.

Thu Feb 16, 10:49:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger momma said...

*hugs*

It has been a happy crappy week, isn't it?

Thu Feb 16, 12:41:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Hi Lights! #6...*shudder*

Go fishing & send some to me. *smooch*

Thu Feb 16, 02:47:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

Ice fishing = cold.

*smooches* Lightsy.

Thu Feb 16, 04:30:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Lasann said...

Just checking in on your checking it!! Have a better week!

Thu Feb 16, 07:04:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger arkie said...

*whew* I thought you decided to join the moles.

Take care of yourself. And yes, you must be crazy to consider going fishing at 6 am!

*smooch*

Thu Feb 16, 08:47:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Zombs said...

What are frost heaves?

Sounds gross.

Fri Feb 17, 08:46:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger thndrkttn said...

Just coming in to *swoon* at the mention of Jamie's name. *SWOON*

Fri Feb 17, 01:14:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Updating the update...

We got another foot or so of snow last night and we're running out of places to put it. Anybody want some?

No icefishing this weekend but maybe next weekend. Can you get here in time Bob? It's going to be too cold tomorrow and very windy so I think we'll just stay home. Plus, Dave has to fix the washing machine that quit spinning last night. It was fun wringing out the sopping wet clothes before putting them in the dryer.

We went grocery shopping tonight after work. I bought 4 little lobster tails and a bag of Alaskan King Crab Legs. I have no idea how to cook the crab legs. All help is welcomed.

Frost heaves are what happens to the highways when the frost goes deep into the ground and pushes the ground and pavement up. The effect is like driving on a roller coaster track. It throws you from side to side and that's what kills my neck.

Speaking of which, it still hurts like hell. I may have to break down and go see the chiropractor. I've had a headache all week. It even hurts to move my eyes.

*giggles @ Tkitty* Jamie sends his love. All week I've been watching the American skiers trying to remember the name of Jamie's look-a-like.

Printer issues still aren't solved. I called Staples and asked them for a DOS friendly printer and the guy told me he couldn't help me. I then told him that I guess he really wasn't interested in selling a printer then.

Scared-of-phone girl is still driving me crazy. Every time I put a piece of paper in her in-box she says thank you. And I do that about 20 times a day. Today she thanked me for transferring a call to her. I just can't take that level of politeness. *grin*

Fri Feb 17, 10:01:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I believe you owe us a hockey picture.

Sat Feb 18, 12:17:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

To cook crab:

Crush garlic
Lightly fry garlic in butter

Dump crab in boiling water until cooked.

Drain

Sit outside in the sun with a hammer, nutcracker, random heavy objects, bread, wine, artichokes and napkins.

Break crab legs open and pull out meat. Dip in garlic butter. Throw shells in bushes.

Repeat

Watch the sun set.

Sat Feb 18, 12:24:00 p.m. EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*smooch*

I have just caught up on your stuff. Rather than posting down below and you maybe never reading it, I summarize here:

I thought there were only 3 moles. Where did 4, 5, and 6 come from?

I hate any rodent, so while I'm certainly laughing AT you, I'm also picturing myself as you.

I used to work for 2 attorneys who would not give up DOS programs. *screams in frustration*

Wayne Gretzki: I don't know. I don't think he's guilty.

Sun Feb 19, 03:38:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

Hi Lights! Thanks for the updates. You need to hurry back before Nutz steals MTW from us! *wink*

*smooch*

Mon Feb 20, 12:45:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

And FTR, for some reason, I am ok with sharing him with you, but not with Nutz or Arkie.

Mon Feb 20, 12:45:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

I think that MTW needs to be made aware of this mm. See, I'm perfectly willing to share him with you too. Arkie and Nutzy are just too greedy wanting him all to themselves. *grin*

Mon Feb 20, 07:37:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Bob, the snow's rather deep and it's a tad bit cool on the patio these days. I guess that means I should keep them in the freezer for a few more months huh?

How long would one boil the crab legs? Dave told me last night that he'd put a couple pair of pliers (or is it plyers?) in the dishwasher to use for cracking the shells. Always the mechanic. *rolls eyes*

Mon Feb 20, 07:41:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Really, there is no photographic evidence of me as a Hanson Brother. If there was, I'd most certainly share it with you.

Mon Feb 20, 07:43:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Boo? I'm guessing that #4,5 & 6 came in the same place that #1, 2 & 3 came in. Thankfully, we must have solved the problem so no more laughing at me. *grin*

Mon Feb 20, 07:46:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Buggy said...

*rubs Lights neck and soulders*

Neck help recipe.
Get a cotton tube sock, a big bag of white rice and a glass.
Pour rice in glass, then put tube sock over the end and use the glass to fill the sock. Repeat til sock is almost full. Tie knot in end of sock.
Before you leave for work, put the sock in the microwave for 3 minutes. Drape hot sock around shoulders and neck, drive to work.
Re-heat sock as needed.
Sock also works good for cold feet, or to warm up your sheets before bed.
Credit Moonie for the sock recipe.

Lvoe you!

Tue Feb 21, 08:37:00 a.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home