My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, February 8

The Mole Hunter - Part 1

Lights is not a happy girl. Monday night when we got home from work I found a piece of dog food near my bedroom door. I remember thinking, there better not have been a mouse carting the dog food around. I ignored that thought and decided that Holly must have been taking snacks with her when she was napping on my bed while we're at work. About a half hour later I heard Dave say, "WTF? I just saw a mouse!" Then he corrected himself and said that it was probably a mole or vole because it was so tiny. I didn't really care what he called it as long as he caught it. Soon.

Some background for you. I'm allergic to mice or mouse shit or something related to mice. I sneeze, I wheeze, my eyes itch and water and I feel like I'm dying when I'm somewhere that either is overrun with rodents or if you sweep the dust around. When we first moved into our house I started sneezing one night and told Dave there must be a mouse in the house. He laughed and said I was crazy because the house was brand new and it was airtight. There was NO WAY a mouse could get in. As he said this, a mouse ran across the floor in front of his feet. We set traps and caught about 20 before he finally figured out where the furry little bastards were getting in. Once that was moved (it was the dryer vent) there were no more mice and more importantly, no more sneezing. When we bought our cottage it was overrun with them too. I couldn't even clean it. My girlfriends cleaned it before I could breathe inside.

So back to Monday night. Dave looked around and couldn't find it but he thought he saw it in the laundry room vent. He put drops of Oil of Wintergreen in all the furnace vents which made my eyes burn and gave me a headache. I spent the rest of the night with my feet up wishing that I could trade Holly in for a cat. While I was watching 24 I caught a glimpse of movement over in the corner of the rec room. Dave ran for the broom and Holly jumped up from where she was curled by my feet and promptly wrapped herself around my neck. Miss Holly is afraid of brooms you see. While Jack Bauer was saving the world I was protecting Miss Holly from the evil broom.

We still hadn't managed to catch it (or them) and all our mousetraps had been taken to the cottage. Dave brought in the electronic mouse repeller from the garage and plugged it in in my bedroom. That gave me a little comfort but I still slept with the blankets up around my ears. I awoke yesterday morning and my first thought was to make sure there was nothing alive and furry in my slippers. Can you tell that this is really freaking me out? Because it is. Seriously. I turned on every single light switch on my way to the shower and tried to convince Holly to play Find the Squirrel but she just looked at me as if to say, "Whacho talkin' about Mommy, squirrels aren't allowed in the house." By the time I was ready to leave I was relaxing a little until I stuck my foot in my boot without checking it first. I felt something and quickly flung my boot across the hallway. Inside was another piece of dog food. *shiver* That means that a rodent had been inside my boot. I tried not to think of that as I forced myself to once again stick my foot inside my boot and head to work.

14 Comments:

Blogger mm said...

OMG! I just laughed harder than I've laughed in days! What I mean to say is, I'm so sorry Lights, hang in there. Bwahahaha! Sorry...I'm not laughing at *you*, sweetie, I'm laughing at the imagine of you putting your foot in the boot. That's how I am with spiders. And every piece of lint looks like a spider to me. I do sypmathize though. *giggles*

Wed Feb 08, 01:23:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

LMAO at you saving Holly while Jack was saving the world. *snort*

Wed Feb 08, 01:50:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Schnookie said...

ACK! That boot would have been imbedded into my ceiling with the force I would have kicked it off LOL. LMAO at you saving Holly from the evil broom.

My worst nightmare is when the lizards come in the house. I can't even retell the story because it creeps me out.

Wed Feb 08, 01:56:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger momma said...

OH eeeeeeeeew! *shudder* I hate mice. I hate them. *shudders again* I cannot sleep or walk in the dark or anything when one has invaded the house. *shudder*

*carefully backs out of lightsy's blog*

Wed Feb 08, 02:02:00 p.m. EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*squeals* because I can certainly relate. Not the "alergic" part, but just the whole frenzy involving mice.

When I was little, I can't remember the exact age now, but a mouse climb up the covers hanging over my bed and ran across my bed -- on top of the covers, but ever since that day I have hate a mouse thing too.

I hate 'em. I absolutely freak out. FREAK OUT. And once I know they are gone, I do a major cleaning/disinfecting/sanitizing/tossing shit out deal.

And once I went to put on a pair of boots and saw evidence that there had been a visitor. $100 Timberlands out the door.

In our house, I am spider killer, dh is rodent killer.

Wed Feb 08, 02:20:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

You have a story telling knack! I'd have been tempted to put my boot in the garbage & check into a hotel.

Good luck finding the rodent!

Wed Feb 08, 02:25:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Zombs said...

Wait is it a mouse or a mole? We have tons of moles that ruin our lawn.

They tunnel up the lawn like Bugs Bunny on the way to Alberquerkie(sp?)

I always check my shoes. I had a friend who's turtle got away and they ended up stepping on it.

Wed Feb 08, 02:36:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I think you need a cat.

I think Holly would be amusing after you get a cat.

Wed Feb 08, 04:38:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

*lets Bob's lab rats loose in Lights blog*

Wed Feb 08, 05:08:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

While Jack Bauer was saving the world I was protecting Miss Holly from the evil broom.

Hee hee!!! Poor Miss Holly! ...and poor Miss Lightsy!

Wed Feb 08, 05:23:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

You need a cat, Lights. Seriously, you need a cat. People who live in the country need cats because mice keep trying to move into houses without cats.

Since mice are timid, nocturnal and darn sneaky, by the time you see one mouse you probably have multiple mices in residence.

I didn't know mice liked the inside of shoes. Weird.

Wed Feb 08, 06:43:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Sadly, a cat is not an option as Dave is equally as allergic to them as I am to mice.

*glares at mm* You still upset with me for flirting with MTW?

Wed Feb 08, 06:58:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

Umm, YES!

*glares back at Lights*

Wed Feb 08, 07:53:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Pfffft! Don't worry about MM, Lightsy. She's just gellus that MTW loves us too.

Wed Feb 08, 08:28:00 p.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home