My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, January 18

Slip Sliding Away

Well, that was fun. Last evening and overnight we had continuous freezing rain. Early this morning it changed to rain in town and snow where I live. Everything is covered in a very thick layer of ice. We left home at 5:50 am, giving ourselves an extra 10 minutes to get to work. The highway was pretty snowy but not bad enough to stay home. As we got closer to North Bay the snow started turning to rain and the highway became really slushy. Slush sucks, almost as much as glare ice.

When we got to Dave's work the parking lot and driveway were glare ice. He pulled in and managed to get the car turned around and pointed in the right direction without hitting anything. I crawled over into the driver's seat and waited until he got in the building before I started the not-so-controlled slide down the driveway to the street. All the way to my office I wondered what the hill leading to it was going to be like. Would my Ray of Sunshine have been there already and sanded the hill? Or would it be like a luge track, freshly shined and greased up, ready for some fun?

The road that leads to my office isn't a major street. As you pull off the main street you go uphill for a bit and then, after the crest of the hill, you go down and at the bottom of the hill there's a 90 degree turn. Our parking lot is on that corner. At the entrance is a steel gate with arms that swing open and closed. I usually arrive after the gate has been opened but sometimes have to wait for the guy with the key to arrive at 7am.

As I approached the turnoff I noticed that there was sand on the upside of the hill so I said a little thank you to the Ray of Sunshine. When I got to the crest of the hill the trail of sand disappeared and I rescinded the thank you. As I drove over the crest I saw glare ice; one of my co-worker's 4X4 truck in the ditch; my work husband's truck, with his new snowmachine in the back, stopped in the middle of the road; and at the bottom of the hill yet another co-worker's van sitting awfully close to the gate.

Fuck! I tried the brakes. That turned me sideways. I pumped the brakes. That slowed me down but I was still sliding. I didn't really care about my car, it's old and I could use a new one, but I was worried about hitting my co-worker's nice new trucks. Somehow I managed to slide to a stop, sideways in the road, just over the crest of the hill. Now I'm worried that someone else will come over the hill and hit me.

The guys came up to my car and filled me in on their adventures. The van had arrived first and slammed into the gate. The air bags deployed, his glasses were broken, and pieces of the gate were found about 500 feet away. At least he was unhurt. Next up on the "ride" was another co-worker, who was driving his Mom's car as his truck died yesterday. He came over the hill and saw the van in the gate, tried to slow down and couldn't and ended up in a deep ditch near the bottom of the hill. The roof of the car is level with the road. No serious damage, so far anyways, we'll see when they get him out. This is what my work husband found as he crested the hill. He managed to get stopped just before the steepest part of the hill. Soon after the next truck came along and when he saw the truck with the snowmachine in the middle of the road he ended up in the ditch with the back end of his truck sideways on the road, which is about the only thing that would have stopped him, well, other than the gate but it was already "open".

I stayed inside my car the whole time. Being a girl has it's advantages and I felt no shame in using them this morning. I mean, the rain would have killed my fabulous hair. It wasn't long until my knight in shining armour arrived. Ray to the rescue! The guys were all teasing me about my boyfriend arriving to save me and joking about how I was going to repay him. It was crazy on that hill. Ray had to call for backup because he couldn't get through all the vehicles to sand the hill and none of us could move anywhere.

They finally arrived with sand and shovels and got us off to the side so the grader and Ray could fix the hill. It was 8:10 by the time I finally got into the office, an hour late but all in one piece. The best part of the day is that because of the icey parking lot Mean Jean stayed home. *grin* I'm sure it had nothing to do with my phone call telling the boss how treacherous it was.

So? Did anyone else have that much fun before 8am? How was your morning?

23 Comments:

Blogger momma said...

What is glare ice? That sounds quite dangerous. I'm glad you made it in safely.

Wed Jan 18, 10:28:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Wow, lights, I'm glad you lucked out (comparatively). Too bad Mean Jean didn't come in early today. *evil laugh*

And Ray of Sunshine needs to work harder to earn his moniker.

Momma, glare ice is a slick clear coating of ice on pavement that you can't see is there inless the light hits it just right. Or, in this case, if lights hits it just right. It's like your road has been secretly prepared for speed skating.

Wed Jan 18, 10:42:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Good description Swami. The only thing I'd add is that is was pouring rain on top of this layer of ice which only makes it worse, if that's possible.

I've only been on ice like that once before in 28 years of driving. Very scary shit.

I'm cutting Ray some slack today. Seems the boys in the back are complaining that he sanded the approach to the hill and left it unsanded on the other side and were using him as a scapegoat for their poor driving. I reminded them that I came over the hill thinking it had been sanded too and I, a mere female, managed to stop without taking the ditch or hitting anything so they had better STFU.

Ray had told me that the reason he stopped at the top of the hill was because, as he got to the top of the hill, he saw a vehicle stopped at the bottom on the corner. He didn't want to take the chance of sliding into it so he backed up, called for a grader and went to try it from the other direction.

Wed Jan 18, 10:54:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Holy carp! I'm glad you are safe! Stay home next time.

Give Ray a kiss for us. :-)

Wed Jan 18, 10:55:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Charger Thief!

Wed Jan 18, 11:58:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

You know, every time I read something you write, I lvoe you just a little more.

*non-stalker smooches*

You crack me up.

Here, it was raining yesterday morning and down to about -20 in the evening. I walked up to the day care at four-thirty, and nearly killed myself on the ice. I am so glad I didn't have to drive anywhere.

Wed Jan 18, 12:35:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

My morning was spent nursing and making waffles.

Wed Jan 18, 12:36:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

I'm sure Ray would say thanks for that Weltek. *wink*

I am not a crook. I'm pretty sure I'm being framed. Ya, that's the ticket.

*blushes & smoooches Coco back*

Nursing. I remember that. Vaguely. You know how some folks say that a little glass of beer is good for your milk? Just for the record, a little glass of rye and coke isn't. Never made THAT mistake again. It made for one very unhappy baby. What the hell did I know, I was 18. *sigh*

Wed Jan 18, 01:06:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

Wow, exciting morning! Next time, try to make something smutty happen though, for added reading pleasure. (I'm thinking something like specific suggestions about to repay Ray) ;-)

Glad you are safe and warmer, I presume.

*smooches*

Wed Jan 18, 01:30:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Glowie said...

sheesh. I'm with Weltek. Stay home next time. Glad you're okay. *smooch*

Wed Jan 18, 02:21:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

If Ray had any say in how he got repaid, mm, I'm quite certain that there would be smut involved. And lots of it. Next time I'm talking to him I'll see if he has any suggestions. *snicker*

It's no secret to me or Dave or even Ray's wife that he'd jump at the chance to um, "jump" me. We've been friends for a long time and we joke around a lot but nothing has ever happened between us. He jokes with his wife that I'm going to be his third wife and that the third time's a charm. He's a great friend but I don't know if I could see myself as Mrs. Ray III.

It really didn't look bad this morning when we left. That's the problem with a long commute like ours, you can drive through five different types of weather before you get there.

After making it home safely last night "during" the freezing rain we figured that today would be a breeze. It was so bad last night we had to stop three times to scrape the ice off the windshield and wipers.

And to celebrate tonight? I get to go to the dentist. How lucky am I?

Wed Jan 18, 02:47:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Zombs said...

It was rainy and windy and in the 60's about 1 hour ago. Now the sun is out and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees I bet.

Why did you not use the sled dog team?

Wed Jan 18, 02:49:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Because I couldn't find the ice picks for their paws, silly. Sheesh, gotta tell these Southerners everything. *grin*

Wed Jan 18, 03:12:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger momma said...

Lightsy, your hubby's name really is Dave, right? I mean, there's no way it could start with a Y, right? Cause there's a truck sitting outside picking up a couple pallets of stuff from our company and the Owner/Operator's name on the side of the truck is Y.F. Lights. Really.

Wed Jan 18, 03:29:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Eek! What a morning. Stories like yours is one of the main reasons that I could not live up north again.

Wed Jan 18, 03:53:00 p.m. EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Glad you lucked out.

This reminds me of the last big ice storm that hit us. It was when the Rams won the Super Bowl. DH has been a Rams fan since birth. We didn't go to any parties because of the ice. Then 30 minutes before the game started, we lost our power. So we ventured out in the ice to find power to watch the Rams in the Super Bowl. Then at halftime, power went out there, so we had to find another place. Then we went home and froze our butts off the rest of the night.

Wed Jan 18, 04:23:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Monstah said...

*gasp* WAIT! You're a girl?!?!?

*happy Lightsy is safe*

I think Ray should get a blog.

PS Do you still go to OT? I need to get a redflag to you. Could you send me one coz I have no idea when the last time posted over there. I should be on the first page somewhere.

Wed Jan 18, 04:32:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

See, no one ever sends me red flags. At least I think not; I haven't logged in over there in ages...

Wed Jan 18, 05:20:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Yikes! That had to be super skeery! Glad you are safe, thank goodness for Ray and phew! that you got a day without Mean Jean! {{{hugs}}}

Wed Jan 18, 08:28:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Yes Momma, he is a Dave. But that was one of my trucks. I'd sent it down to pick you up silly. I thought you'd like to experience a Northern Ontario winter first hand.

Nookie, I can well imagine that it would be very difficult to come back up here after a few years without our winters. Thankfully, days like yesterday are more the exception than the rule.

Rams? Is that St. Louis? I know diddlysquat about football.

Yes, silly Monstah, I'm a girl. Although, sometimes I behave like a guy (not the burping or farting part though). I spend a lot of time with "the boys" and, for the most part, I try not to play the "girl" card. Exceptions include, but are not limited to, writing my name in the snow while peeing, pulling the whole macho act, and labour that requires abundant upper body strength.

Ray with a blog. *giggle* Now that would be a sight. Computers are not Ray's friend.

Don't feel bad Swami, my flag seldom waves either. I gave up checking regularly long ago.

Nutzy, I was thinking of you this morning on my way to work. It's Jon Bon Jovi Day on the radio station we listen to. They were taking calls whenever you here a Bon Jovi song played to qualify for front row tickets this weekend in Toronto (I think). Not only do you get the tickets, you'd also be pulled up on stage during one of his songs and have backstage passes. The DJs were asking the girl who qualified if she'd be able to restrain herself and not jump him while she was onstage. She said she couldn't make that promise. *snicker*

Thu Jan 19, 09:12:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

I avoid anything that's supposed to be good for my milk. I have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much milk to need augmenting in anyway.

*drips in Lights' blog*

Thu Jan 19, 02:00:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Puffy said...

If you were in California, the work day would have been cancelled, all business would have come to a halt, and you'd be "playing in the snow" or sleeping late.

Fri Jan 20, 08:05:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

Slip Slidin' Away

CHORUS:
Slip slidin’ away
Slip slidin’ away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you’re slip slidin’ away

I know a man
He came from my home town
He wore his passion for his woman
Like a thorny crown
He said Delores
I live in fear
My love for you’s so overpowering
I’m afraid that I will disappear

CHORUS

know a woman
Became a wife
These are the very words she uses
To describe her life
She said a good day
Ain’t got no rain
She said a bad day’s when I lie in bed
And think of things that might have been

CHORUS

And I know a father
Who had a son
He longed to tell him all the reasons
For the things he’d done
He came a long way
Just to explain
He kissed his boy as he lay sleeping
Then he turned around and headed home again

CHORUS

God only knows
God makes his plan
The information’s unavailable
To the mortal man
We work our jobs
Collect our pay
Believe we’re gliding down the highway
When in fact we’re slip slidin’ away

Sat Jan 21, 09:54:00 a.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home