My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Monday, January 9

Chapter Three - Clearing up some mistakes

Last night as I was trying to get to sleep I was thinking about the timing of everything I’ve been writing about and I realized that I screwed up. Cut me some slack, it was a really long time ago. It was the summer of ’76 that I moved but it wasn’t until the next school year that I actually met Dusterboy. So when I said he was celebrating his 19th birthday I was wrong, it was his 20th and I was 16 at the time, not 15. I had completely lost a year. The summer of 1977 I worked and lived at a tourist lodge and hung out with the owner’s son, who was also a friend of the guy who had the party apartment. The owner’s son was a total sweetheart and he used to play guitar and sing Rocky Raccoon to me. I have a weakness for a guy who sings to me. It was fun while it lasted and I benefited from hanging out with him because the owner’s were very strict with the girls that stayed there but I got away with staying out late because I was with their son.

Therefore, the summer that I worked for the town rec association it was 1978 and I was 17. I had graduated from Grade 12 in January and worked for Dave’s Mom doing the books for their service station until June. My parents were pressuring me to apply for college but I had no idea what I wanted to do because I was totally wrapped up in Dave. I’m way too anal to not clarify all of that but now that I have I can go on with the story.

Early that summer there was a bluegrass festival in a nearby town and a bunch of us went to it. It was a 3 day thing and was just a huge party. We took my big blue tent and it was the first time my parents gave me permission to go somewhere like that. We had a blast.

Soon after the bluegrass festival I realized I'd missed my period. And then I started to gag every time I lit a cigarette so I ended up quitting. And then I started feeling really crappy in the morning. More missed periods and swelling oobies convinced me that it was time to make a doctor’s appointment. The doctor confirmed my greatest fear. It was the end of August and I was due on April 1st. Nice April Fool’s joke there Doc. I left the doctor’s office and drove to Dave’s Dad’s garage and as soon as I saw him I started to cry and he knew. He hugged me and tried to tell me that everything would be okay but it wasn’t him that had to go break the news to my parents. After a bunch more tears I left him there and drove home to tell my Mom.

Sorry to cut this short but Dave’s best friend got a job offer today in Fort McMurray, Alberta today so they came over for a couple beer to celebrate. It’s getting late and I’m tired so I’ll try and finish this novel up tomorrow. *grin*

20 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

Is this how you told your Mom?
"Mom, I'm preggers, gotta go, Dave's friend got a job"

*snort*

Mon Jan 09, 10:18:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Okay Lights, Chapter 3 seems to have a wandering focus, altho we do know exactly what year it was, lol.

I'm just guessing that the pregnancy is also an organizing event, once all the chaos settles down.

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room, only to find Gideon's bible. I love that song, can't remember which Beatle sang it.

Mon Jan 09, 10:40:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

You can't leave us in tears and bitter confusion like this.

Grats on friends job. Tell him he better learn to speak Newfie quick.

Mon Jan 09, 10:47:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mtw said...

Lightsy, I think you need a song. I'll warm up my voice and meet you back here later! ;-)

Tue Jan 10, 02:12:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

*waits patiently*

Tue Jan 10, 07:19:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Yes, this chapter may need a rewrite. The whole story may need a rewrite seeing as I fucked up so much. *giggle*

Frampton songs and Rocky Raccoon always make me smile. Sir Paul sang it Swami. Of course, I'm a little partial to Alex's version (the resort owner's son) but that probably had more to do with what happened after the song was over. *wink*

Bob, the friend is just so happy to be leaving the land of the french behind that I'm sure he won't mind Newfie speak.

*passes MTW the guitar* I'm ready when you are. *wink*

Tue Jan 10, 07:29:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Morning Nutzy!

Tue Jan 10, 07:30:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Syren said...

I get all swoony when someone sings to me too.

Tue Jan 10, 08:19:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Whoa...wait, you drop pregnancy news on us and then split. Get your butt back here missy.

Tue Jan 10, 08:40:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger momma said...

LOL @ Carey.

So......how did your parents take it?

Tue Jan 10, 09:40:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Glowie said...

I am really enjoying the stories you all are posting.

*smooch*

Tue Jan 10, 10:28:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

"story may need a rewrite seeing as I fucked up so much. *giggle*"

nocommentnocommentnocomment.....

Tue Jan 10, 11:24:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

I had a heck of a time logging in to post that stupid (no) comment above. I spelled Swami wrong and couldn't see it. Swani does not = Swami.

Tue Jan 10, 11:26:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Does Dave sing to you?

Tue Jan 10, 11:27:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Are you saying you have a long neck, Swani?

LMAO @ the no comment. I hadn't intended that to be so funny but it's sure making me giggle now.

No, he doesn't sing to me. Although, he once became Dave Bon Jovi at a golf tournament when they had karaoke during the evening. He sang Bed of Roses and it wasn't half bad. And I was sober at the time.

I'll try and write more this afternoon but I have a feeling it won't be until tonight when I get time to post more.

Tue Jan 10, 11:55:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

No. I'm saying I need new glasses.

Tue Jan 10, 12:27:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

This is awesome. More news, more news!

Tue Jan 10, 12:51:00 p.m. EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staying tuned for the Adventures of Dusterbaby.

Tue Jan 10, 02:31:00 p.m. EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staying tuned for the Adventures of Dusterbaby.

Tue Jan 10, 02:31:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Seana said...

Dusterbaby! I like it!

*waits patiently*

*goes back to own blog for more cookies*

Tue Jan 10, 07:57:00 p.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home