My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, May 16

Who's hungry?

I? Am a bonehead. A couple weeks ago one of my friends gave me the "starter mix" for Amish Friendship Bread. If you haven't heard about it, you get a baggie with a cup of liquidy mix that you have to nuture and squish for 10 days before you bake. Last week I baked up my two loaves. I took one to work and kept one for us. It was delicious and everyone at work raved about it. Before you bake you put one cup of starter into 4 more baggies and pass it on to your friends, or you can keep one for yourself so you can make it again in another 10 days.

I gave two ladies at work a starter and was going to keep one for myself and give one to my Mom as part of her Mother's Day gift. We were supposed to go to their place last Friday but I ended up visiting the hospital instead (long story but I'm fine other than a future colonoscopy). I asked my Mom to drop by my office and pick up this thing I had growing for her. I'm pretty sure she thought it might be a puppy and never showed up. Today was day 10 again so I gave Mom's package to another lady at work and came home to bake another two loaves.

The recipe tells you to sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mixture over the top before baking. It makes a very nice "crust" on the top. I may have sprinkled too much on top this time because I had extra mixture sitting on top when I pulled the loaves out of the oven. I picked up one loaf with the oven mitts and decided to dump the excess off by tipping the loaf over the sink full of soapy water that was waiting for the loaf pans to be washed. Can you guess where this is going?

Plop! You guessed it. The entire thing slipped out of my hands and into the soapy water. I grabbed it back out as quick as I could but the loaf had already soaked up about a quart of water. *snort* How bad is it that I considered putting it back in the oven to dry it out.

Anyone want cake?

14 Comments:

Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Well, it sounded good until the dishwater part.

Bob <--probebly would have put it in the oven to dry.

Wed May 16, 08:09:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Bravie said...

I think I'll do the cooking when I visit.

Wed May 16, 09:54:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Asrai said...

Damn girl, that's funny! Sounds like something I'd end up doing!!

Thu May 17, 01:00:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Breezy said...

Yep, I think bravie will be doing the cooking when we visit.

Thu May 17, 08:51:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Swami said...

Someone gave me a starter of Amish Friendship Bread once, but I let it die without the ten days of fuss.

Thu May 17, 09:32:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Puffy said...

I had a similar starter around the time my son was born. I had a helper in the house who cleaned out my fridge and threw out the starter mix, thinking it was something that had gone bad.

Thu May 17, 12:18:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

*snort* You can't dry it out and have it be ok, silly!

I like the Amish Friendship Bread. I made it low sugar, as the recipe seemed to have WAAAAAY too much sugar.

Thu May 17, 04:45:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger lights said...

You can if you rename it sponge cake, Kim. Sheesh!

And Carey, you doing all the cooking sounds good to me. *giggle*

Thu May 17, 05:34:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Bravie said...

We'll work out a menu before we get there.
Hmmmm, I make a mean lasagna. And do you have a crock pot? Cuz I make some seriously tasty chili, too. *grin*

Thu May 17, 06:21:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger lights said...

I was thinking that at least one meal has to be from the chip stand. Poutine!!!!

Yes, I have a crock pot. Chili would be good. Then some nachos the next day with any leftovers!

Dammit, now I'm hungry.

Thu May 17, 07:02:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Bravie said...

There is NO WAY that I am coming to Canada without trying poutine. That is a total must.
Okay, so we will plan on me making crock pot chili one day and then having nachos the next day.
But I must warn you. I do not like people in my kitchen when I cook. And I like to serve drinks to people as I'm cooking. So you will have to sit around, outside of the cooking area and be waited on while I cook. Let me know now if that will be a problem. :)

Fri May 18, 09:21:00 a.m. EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had some of that once. I'm not good about continuing those kinds of things. But I made the bread, and I liked it.

Wed May 23, 11:34:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Swami said...

We're going to feed Bravie beans two days in a row?

Wed May 23, 01:43:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Bravie said...

I bet I could market something called Bravie Beans.

Thu May 24, 07:11:00 p.m. EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home