My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Thursday, January 4

A Beautiful Spring Day...

...in Janufreakingary!!!

I've come to the conclusion that us Canucks truely are strange creatures. It's January in Northern Ontario and earlier this week I saw a woman walking down the street in shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt! Today? A guy driving around in a convertible with the top down. The weather has been unbelievably mild but come on...it's still January in Northern Ontario. There are a few little spots of snow to be found but other than that, there is green grass on the lawn. If this keeps up I'm gonna have to cut the lawn! The long range forecast says it will stay above zero until next week when we will get some real January weather.

Other stuff...

1. We're thinking about getting studs put in our winter tires. It's legal in Ontario now and with this weird weather we're getting a lot more freezing rain and black ice.

2. I received a parcel today from my wonderful Swamilicious! I wonder how she knew how much I'd LOVE a Shih Tzu calander? *smooooooches Swami and Tom* Thank you!!! It will be going up on my office wall tomorrow morning where it will remind me of you every day at work.

3. Got an email from our friend in Alaska today. It was the first time we've heard from him in almost a year. After his visit last summer and our other friend's separation, he stopped replying to our emails. I sent him a Christmas card last month just to let him know we missed him and it was really nice to hear from him.

4. I exchanged my plus size gift from my DIL this week and bought something that actually fit me. The sweaters she bought me were plus size large. Way to impress the future MIL huh?

5. Dave bought me a Raclette for Christmas but it was a cheapy one (the only one he could find) so I returned it and bought a good one tonight. Tomorrow night we're having a Raclette dinner! Woohoo!

6. Had a good visit with my thyroid doctor today. He said my thyroid has actually shrunk and says that is good news. My levels are well within range and he's happy with my progress.

7. Thyroid doctor gave me a prescription for Ativan. It's for those nights when I'm having trouble sleeping. I don't need it often but he said it wouldn't hurt to use it when I need it. I didn't sleep at all on New Year's Eve and was a mess on New Year's Day because of the lack of sleep. Has anyone ever used Ativan? Comments?

8. My dialysis friend turned 40 today. We're going to celebrate her birthday by showing up at her house some night soon (just the girls) with some food and play cards. She's not up to a big party and her sister said this is what she'd love most.

9. The boss is still on Christmas holidays so I've been on my own all week. Have I mentioned how much I love my new job? What a difference a year makes. This time last year I was still battling every day with Mean Jean.

10. My Mom bought me one of those stacker things for plastic containers for Christmas! As soon as I opened it I thought of Breezy! Anybody need a bunch of mismatched plastic containers?

I can quit writing now that I've made it to #10. *grin*

16 Comments:

Blogger Schnookie said...

Happy New Year Lightsy!

I use Ativan when I can't sleep or for plane rides. I first started using it over 10 years ago. It was never addicting.

It works for me. However, I usually take just half a pill for sleeping because if I take a full one, then I'll feel groggy at work the next day.

Glad to hear your thyroid news!

Weather is crazy everywhere. It was the first time going home for the holidays that there wasn't snow on the ground.

*smooch* Nice to see you back.

Thu Jan 04, 09:12:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

We are having shirt-sleeve weather too. Another fun thing is people washing their cars in their driveways - in freakin' January!

1. Black ice sucketh and just about no treaded tire can handle it. Don't studs seriously reduce your mpg? I mean lpk? What the heck is the Canadian equivalent of mpg?

2. You're welcome. I thought one pic looked exactly like your little doggie. It took the post office long enough!

3. Oh good, maybe you can woo him back into your email fold.

4. Buy her a maternity top on the next gift-giving occasion. Revenge is sweet. "But honey, I thought you looked pregnant!"

5. I forget what Raclette is, even though you have posted about it and even posted a pic, I think. I have the memory of a flea at times.

6. Good news!

7. I have never used a sleep aid, but I am looking for one for Max. He is up most or all of the night so often and always has a terrible day at school afterwards with all kinds of negative behaviours.

8. Nobody will play cards with me. I am very bummed by this.

9. *hates on Mean Jean* just for old time's sake. I am so happy that you still like your "new" job!

10. I haven't tried those yet, but they are on my list.

Braggert.

Fri Jan 05, 10:11:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Lasann said...

Denver is the new Canada.

#4 answered my question - what do I look like to teen - early 20's girls. Yep I am as big as my mom was. There is no denying it now.

Swami reminding me of Mean Jean made me laugh.

Fri Jan 05, 12:16:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Can we have raclette for my big 4-0 in June?

I bet the thyroid is getting better because of your new, fabulous job with no stress and no mean Jean. ;-)

Fri Jan 05, 12:30:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

So can you go off your thyroid meds if you condition improves? Or are you stuck for life?

Fri Jan 05, 01:30:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

Studs in tires? I may be a lesbian but that seems like a cruel thing to do to nice looking men. Things really have changed since I was straight.

Fri Jan 05, 05:54:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Good to hear Nookie! I did some research on the Ativan today and was thinking it might be good for freezing rain days too, when I'm all freaky about the ride home. I've joked around saying that I needed a sedative for those rides. Dave thought it would be a good idea so he didn't have to listen to me. *giggle* I think I'll try just a half a pill at first too.

I asked Dave about the mileage reduction. He didn't really know but doesn't think it will have much of a difference.

The January puppy does look a lot like Holly. I displayed the calander proudly today and got lots of oohs and aahs at the cuteness factor.

I don't think I want to joke about the pregnancy thing just yet. My luck it would end up coming true.

Is Max restricted as to what he can take as far as meds go? I've never tried sleep aids before but I'm ready to try them after some bad sleepless stretches. I get pretty miserable when I don't sleep. My emotions go wild.

I'll play cards with you any time!

Lasann, my Mom bought me a plus size shirt too, so not only do I apparently look big to 20 somethings, but to sixty somethings as well. *rolls eyes*

You betcha Nutzy! Raclette on the patio! I think you may be onto something about the lack of stress having a good influence on my thyroid.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the meds for the rest of my life Kim. Thankfully, it's not a big deal for me. The doc asked me if I wanted to try the radioactive iodiene treatment but it sometimes has negative impact on your eyes and I've already got problems with my eyes from it so I don't want to take any chances. I'll just take the pills and be thankful.

Fri Jan 05, 06:05:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Look who snuck in while I was typing! How's married life treating you?

Having studs in my tires may not help with the ice, but I'll have some strong men around to push me out of the ditch. *grin*

Fri Jan 05, 06:07:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Puffy said...

I know someone who was VERY addicted to ativan.

I didn't know what a Raclette was, so I googled it. It's a cheese and also a grill. Learned something new.

I'll play cards with you and Swami!

I'd rather have studs in my tires than be stuck in a ditch.

Fri Jan 05, 09:21:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Monstah said...

Hi Lightsy! Happy New Year my little Canadian Goose. We are having the same freakish warm weather worked in New England. No freezing rain, just really mild tempatures. I HATE it.

After Nathaniel started sleeping through the night, I suddenly could not sleep- at all. I tried Ativan and it did not help much- which is surprising becuase it helps most people out there. I tried a drug called Trazadone and it really well for me.

Good to see you out and about!

Sat Jan 06, 06:59:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Buggy said...

Sounds like things are good!

Love for the New Year!
I know this one will be easier than last.

Sun Jan 07, 12:10:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

I thought Ativan was a an anti-anxiety med, and not a sleep aid? I have it too, but it's new. Doc said to use it when I'm feeling anxious, to help ward off my anxiety related migraines.

Happy New Year, Lights, and yay for the good news!

*smooch*

Sun Jan 07, 03:08:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

Happy New Year to my favourite part-time Quebecker! It's good to hear that you are happy and healthy. We really should have a fondue/raclette party.


We have this same bizarro weather. Saturday was really mild- everything melted and puddled. Then it froze Saturday night and the whole area was a skating rink. Today, we have fluffy snow covering the ice. Scary.

*smooch* to Holly

Mon Jan 08, 09:14:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Dave Clapper said...

My gf tried Ativan for a while, and she had the experience Nookie relates with taking a full one. She always felt groggy and hung over the day after. Now, Xanax, on the other hand... Yum.

Mon Jan 08, 06:38:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Schnookie said...

MM, yes, Ativan is an anti-anxiety pill but it's also used as a sleeping aid. I sometimes will take half a pill during the day if I'm having an anxiety attack.

Tue Jan 09, 09:34:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Thanks for all the comments on the Ativan. I still haven't had a chance to get the prescription filled. I'll be sure to let you know how it works for me. It's kind of comforting to think that I'll have something I can take if I need it.

Thu Jan 11, 07:00:00 p.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home