My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, December 20

The Spa According to lights

How lucky can I be? My friend wins a draw and the prize is a "night of pampering" for her and three friends. The night of pampering is described as a foot massage, a facial and a hand treatment. Just what a busy woman deserves at this crazy time of year. And this busy woman has never experienced any of the above so I was doubly excited about what was to come.

Last night after work I stopped here at home, made myself a drink and checked the blogs to wind down after a hectic day that included my first solo business lunch as a Buyer. Imagine my surprise when I walked into the restaurant and found four men at the table waiting for me. After an initial moment of panic I calmed down and actually enjoyed myself. More about this another time.

I picked up my friend and her two daughters and off we went. Now I must admit that I was curious about how long this was going to take seeing as there were four of us. That's a lot of feet and faces to rub. When we walked in the door we found a table with products proudly displayed all over it. This was my first clue that my first spa experience was going to be a little bit less than spectacular. The lady met us at the door and invited us in to relax, have a coffee, tea, or pop and a cookie. I passed on the pop because, unfortunately, I didn't have a travel bottle with me. *waves @ Kimmers*

She invited us to follow her into her kitchen where she had four chairs set up at the table. She asked us to sit down and take our socks off and brought us rectangle dishpans filled with hot water for us to soak our feet in. While we soaked, she asked us to fill out cards with our names, address, phone number, birthday, husband's name, etc, etc. This? was my second clue that there may have been a little false advertising happening with my spa night.

After soaking our feet for a while, she gave us each towels and told us to back our chairs away from the table so we could put the towel on our leg and put our other foot up so that we could do our own freaking foot massage! My friend and I had been giving each other eye signals through this and how we managed to not completely crack up is beyond me. So there we sit, with our dripping feet covered in little dabs of goop as we massage our feet. Once the feet were done it was time to do our own facials. The hand treatment consisted of us rubbing two different creams on our own hands.

She was a Mary Kay cosmetics saleslady and I guess this was her way of getting sales before Christmas. This "evening of pampering" which we renamed, "an evening of pampering yourself" was advertised as being worth over $150. I'm not sure if the little dabs of creams and microdermobrasion goop are worth $150 but her foot massaging efforts certainly didn't amount to much.

We were done in just over an hour. And of course I felt I had to buy something even though I know I didn't have to. I ordered an eye soothing cream and a lip gloss and it cost me about $35.
We got far more than $35 worth of laughs once we got in the car to head home. We giggled like schoolgirls all the way home. Too funny. I knew it was too good to be true.

*props feet up and waits for a real foot massage*

10 Comments:

Blogger Schnookie said...

Holy Crap! You had to massage your own feet? You are too nice. I would have stormed out of there. I'm sitting here in absolute shock! The effin nerve of some peeps.

Kudos to you and your friend for being able to laugh it off.

Wed Dec 20, 08:42:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Breezy said...

LMAO I thought for sure it was going to end up a BeautiControl party. Which by the way, does have nice products. I have the lip peel thing from them.

Thu Dec 21, 08:38:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

LOL! I wondered if maybe that was the idea behind this when you mentioned it yesterday. It seemed like a huge "prize" for a real spa to give away for four people.

Apparently you should've brough the bottles with for the pop. :-)

Thu Dec 21, 01:47:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

WTF??? That's some prize! *snicker*

I've heard Carey gives foot massages to die for!

Thu Dec 21, 02:03:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Oh, you're a better woman than I am, Lights. I'm not sure what I would have done with the self-spa portion of the evening, but I guarantee I would NOT buy any products!

Thu Dec 21, 02:21:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

*rubs Lighty's feet*
I can always count on getting a little sumpin sumpin after I massage Michelle's feet. Course, she does make me wash my hands after the foot rub though. *giggle*

Thu Dec 21, 04:38:00 p.m. EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack!!!!

At least you only got out of there with $35 worth. One of my neighbors tried to get me to come to one of those pamperin' nights for her sister, who was selling Mary Kay.

It's a cult, I tell you. A cult!

Fri Dec 22, 09:24:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Lasann said...

Have a great holliday!

Fri Dec 22, 03:54:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger momma said...

Wow. That's....awful! I've been to a couple of those type of parties, but we ALL knew up front it was to test products, etc. No illusions. I'm impressed you guys were able to laugh it off. Not sure I could have.

Hope you and Dusterboy have a fabulous Christmas!

Fri Dec 22, 07:40:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Puffy said...

This was what the winner got? I wonder what the losers got.

Sun Dec 24, 02:28:00 p.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home