My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, November 28

Freezing Rain Sucks!

Today was our second day in a row of the nasty shit. It make me cranky. And teary.

The parking lot at Tim Horton's this morning was a complete sheet of ice. I sat in the car waiting for Dusterboy and watched one car miss the drive-through completely and end up crashing into a curb. Then watched a guy with a large double double in each hand slide down the parking lot to his car. I actually covered my eyes and swore when I saw someone heading for the parking spot beside my shiny new baby.

By the time we managed to slide on out onto the road I was a basket case. Dusterboy looked at me and asked if I wanted him to drive me to work even though he would then be late. I managed to whimper, "Uh huh" through my tears.

The road to my office is very twisty and turny. We were just crawling along and as we came around one corner we found a van, that had just completed a 360, sitting in our lane. Dusterboy managed to slide around him and get us both to work without so much as a scratch. I love my Dusterboy.

The silly thing is that I was more worried about the new car than anything. I know a dent or scratch in inevitible but I'd like to make it to next summer at least before it happens.

What's the shortest time you've had a new vehicle before it's been damaged?

11 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

My car is a ding magnet. People seem to think that it's okay to open their doors onto my car. Or kids seem to think that the side of my car is where they should rest their bikes.
I went ape shit on a guy once for dinging my car. Heh, as a matter of fact, I was on the phone with Glow when it happened and she got to listen to the entire exchange between me and this guy. I swear he must have shit himself by the time I was done.
Heh, after he and I went at each other, he ended up apologizing to me and shaking my hand. It was all quite amusing now that I look back.

Tue Nov 28, 07:43:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger momma said...

A week. And then DH and I went out to eat. And some moron, who decided the three parking spaces between me and the front door of the restaraunt were too much space. He decided to park damn near on top of my brand new car. Which means, of course, that both the front and passenger doors were opened right into my car.

*sigh*

Tue Nov 28, 10:46:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger momma said...

Make that the front and rear doors.

*rolls eyes* I can be such a blond sometimes.

Tue Nov 28, 10:47:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

Poor Lightsie!

I had just gotten our Avalon this summer (maybe a week or two in) when I rear-ended a guy. No damage was seen, and DH never knew a thing!

Wed Nov 29, 03:12:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

I hate freezing rain too! I'm glad you made it safely to work.

I once sat stopped at a red light with nowhere to go (I was boxed in) and watched a car slip-slide into my rear end. The car behind her rear-ended her too. When we got out of the cars she called me by name, knew where I worked and everything; I swear I had never seen her in my life before but she sure knew all about me. Proof of the power of work gossip I guess. Not that I have ever done anything gossip-worthy. *blinks innocently*

I sideswiped another car when my minivan was 4 days old. I was on the phone with Tom.

Wed Nov 29, 08:58:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

I forgot to sing the praises of anti-lock brakes. Those things save my ass about 1 - 3X per winter!

Wed Nov 29, 09:00:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Ooh, stay safe, hon. I think about three weeks is the shortest time before I scratched a car. It was my fault, so I can't blame anybody else.

Wed Nov 29, 01:46:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Puffy said...

Stay home til spring. About a week after I got a new car, my cousin split her leg open and I had to take her with her bleeding leg to the emergency room.

Wed Nov 29, 03:42:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

If it's icy like that here, I just stay home. Snow I can handle, but not ice.

Thu Nov 30, 12:43:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

What's this "new vehicle" thing?

Fri Dec 01, 12:18:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Lasann said...

Before I know it our roads will look like that.

I've managed (jinx) to keep a new car scratch free for 1 year. My then 12 year old had a fit and dented the side with the gas pump nozzle.

Fri Dec 01, 12:30:00 p.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home