My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Monday, May 8

The Co-Workers...

As promised, some thoughts and observations on my new co-workers.

Aging Dumb Blonde

I swear these are the only words to describe K. She babbles non-stop about absolutely nothing in a completely stereotypical "dumb blonde" type voice. The first couple weeks I would stop working and chat (read: listen) with her but now I try to look busy when she loiters outside my office door. She's nice enough but it only took me a couple weeks to figure out that she likes to babble. K has told me that she has a vertigo problem and feels dizzy all the time. I'm not completely convinced that it doesn't have more to do with the color of her hair rather than an ear issue. She's also known as the "drawer police" around the office. Should she walk by your office and see that your drawer is open she'll stop and warn you of the dangers of leaving it open. I thought I was the only one to receive the lecture until I mentioned it in passing to my boss and she laughed and said that was K's thing. The other girl who started the same day as me (M) has already received the lecture too. *giggle* We were talking about it today and laughed how we felt like naughty children being scolded about open drawers. I've left my desk drawers open for 20 years and have yet to injure myself because of it.

George Carlin the Safety Dude

M and I had a plant tour with the Safety Dude during our first week. When he showed up to get us I immediately thought he had to be George Carlin's younger brother. He has a goatee that hangs about three inches from his chin and he sounds just like Carlin. He does not, however, use the seven words. At least, not yet. He's a Harley owner and into yoga and he bows to me every time he leaves my office. Nice guy, just kinda unique.

M the Other New Girl

M and I started on the same day and everyone gets our names mixed up. We're getting used to it. She's a couple years younger than I am and I really like her. She's fun and we share a bit of a bond because we started together. The first time I saw her walk away from me I couldn't help but think that she looked like she'd spent too much time on a horse. I hope that doesn't sound mean, it was just a silent observation. I couldn't help but giggle to myself when I found out that she does indeed own horses.

Mean Jean - Part Two

So on my first morning G, my boss, took me for a tour to introduce me to the co-workers. The first office we stopped at was the lady who does hourly payroll. Her name is Jeanne and she's anything but mean. It did make me snicker a little though. Last week the operations manager met her in the hallway outside my office and asked, "How's Mean Jean today?" My heart skipped a little beat and I had to go down the hall to her office to tell her about the Mean Jean thing. I did assure her that I didn't think she was anything like the other Mean Jean.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

*smoooches*

19 Comments:

Blogger Coco said...

Oooooh, first post.

I love your observations, Lights.

(oh, and you too) Glad there's no Mean Jean at your job.

Mon May 08, 08:57:00 p.m. EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are away from Mean Jean.

I'm a bit of a drawer freak myself, however, I don't lecture people about it. I don't even think I notice if other people leave them open, I just notice if I do. And I'm the same way about the copier cover. I find myself constantly going and closing it. But not lecturing.

Tue May 09, 08:39:00 a.m. EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and maybe it's not a horse she's been riding. :)

Tue May 09, 08:39:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Swami said...

*laughs at Boo*

I'm so glad you're still liking the new job, Lights! All things considered, your new co-workers sound ab fab as compared to the old place.

Lol on the Harley/yoga/George Carlin guy. Having men bow down before you is always good.

Tue May 09, 12:23:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

LOL at the other (not so) Mean Jean(ne)!

Very fun to read about your new coworkers. I have Crazy Pam & Crazy Pat at work. Crazy Pam pronounces words wrong all the time & is kind of below average intelligence. Crazy Pat is a smart older lady (70) that should be retired, but is in great shape & lonely. She thinks outloud & has to tell you EVERYTHING. They both eat gross, too, spitting stuff out as they speak.

Tue May 09, 12:58:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger mm said...

Yay! An update from Lights. :)
The new job sounds fun already. As long as there is no actual Mean Jean, I'm thrilled for you!

Tue May 09, 01:02:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Sonya said...

I can't believe you have another Mean Jean, but who isn't mean at work. How ironic!

Tue May 09, 01:06:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Glowie said...

Safety Dude sounds like fun. Yay! no more Mean Jean.

Tue May 09, 03:51:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Bravie said...

LOL at another Mean Jean. It sounds like you are acclamating wonderfully. *smooch*
And I'm glad to come here and have an update, finally.

Tue May 09, 07:08:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Puffy said...

Good to hear a little about the new job. Did you do anything special with that first big paycheck?

Tue May 09, 08:59:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger momma said...

Glad you seem to be enjoying yourself at work and are surrounded by decent coworkers.

Wed May 10, 11:04:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Lasann said...

Woo hoo. It's lights with an update. I think you will like it there. It sounds like you and M will be great co-workers. LOL at K.

Thu May 11, 09:21:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Schnookie said...

LIGHTSY!!! I'm so happy to hear that things are going well at the new job. LOL at having a 2nd "Jeanne". Thankfully she's not mean.

Thu May 11, 11:38:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Welcome back!

I want to know if you shared your going away present from Mean Jean with your new co-workers?

Thu May 11, 03:34:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Seana said...

How nice that the people in your new office are nice. Except for the kooky one, and she's just kooky, right? Now nasty, just kind or annoying.

Continued good wishes!

Thu May 11, 07:06:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger lights said...

Don't have much time before Survivor starts but I had to tell Boo that I'm a copier cover freak too! So is my boss. *giggle*

Safety Dude really is a cool guy.

And finally, while I'm always really happy to check in after work and find comments from all my wonderful bloggy friends, tonight I was extraspecially happy to see my friend Sally here! It totally made my day. I love me some Sallymander and I've missed her soooooo much! Love you Sally!

*does a happy dance*

Gotta run and cheer for my girl Cirie!

*smoooches for everyone*

Thu May 11, 08:02:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Seana said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Sun May 14, 11:11:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Sonya said...

I have to give my notice at work and know you just did it. Any tips?

Mon May 15, 09:03:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Swami said...

*an official I-Miss-Lightsie post*

Wed May 17, 08:43:00 a.m. EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home