My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, April 4

Gather 'round kids, I've got a story for you!

So this morning Mean Jean comes to my office door and tells me that she has a lady coming in for an interview this morning and makes sure to point out to me that she's Chinese. Then she tells me that this lady applied for the accounting position she had advertised for a few months ago and that she wanted me to talk to her while she was here. I said okay and wondered why she would be interviewing this lady for a Sales/Purchasing/Inventory Management position when she had applied for an accounting position but I thought, what the heck, the sooner they find a replacement the better.

Later I was standing in the office when the Chinese lady arrived. I asked if I could help her and could barely understand a word she said but I knew she was there to see Mean Jean so I just went and got her. After their chat Mean Jean deposited the lady into my office. I offered her a chair and she sat then I picked up a list of questions that I had to ask her and mentioned that I had some questions for her and she jumped up and came over and took the list from my hand and started reading them outloud. I asked for the list back when she finished and began asking the questions. Most of them were about any prior experience she might have in the areas required for my job and each one was answered with a no. I then asked her what computer software she was familiar with and she didn't understand the question. By this point I was pretty sure that she wasnt' meant for this job but I continued with the questions to be polite.

She told me that she had worked in a manufacturing plant in China previously. I asked what they manufactured and all I understood was something involving tin. I asked her if she was good with Excel because many of my spreadsheets are Excel based. She didn't know what formulas were so I dropped that line of questioning. I had the feeling that while she could speak English somewhat, she really wasn't fluent and didn't really understand everything I was saying. To me that is a bit of a deal breaker in a position that requires phone and email communication with customers and vendors alike. She kept repeating something about China being a different culture. No shit Sherlock.

Once I figured that I had given her the required amount of time I deposited her back in Mean Jean's office. The talked some more and then went in to meet the boss. He was getting ready for a business trip and didn't have much time to spare so they didn't stay long. Next they went out to the shop and warehouse to tour around. Finally they ended up back at my office door. I'm thinking that Mean Jean was just going to let her say goodbye to me and that she would ask my opinion and then we'd interview a few more candidates and make a decision. But no, Mean Jean informs me that she had taken the lady out to the warehouse to look at all the parts and that she was impressed and thought she could do the job because she was good with numbers.

Mean Jean then tells me that she will be starting tomorrow morning at 8am. *thud* That was the sound of my jaw hitting my desk and then bouncing back up into place. I have never been so completely stunned in my entire life. I immediately looked around for Alan Fundt and his Candid Cameras because this was just way too bizzare to be real. I think I managed to keep my face from giving away my shock but I'm not really sure.

After the lady left Mean Jean didn't bother coming back to ask my opinion, she just went on her merry way confident that she had solved another problem with her superior hiring abilities. Once the initial shock wore off I went and spoke to the co-worker who is still trying to train the last "rocket scientist" that Mean Jean hired. The co-worker said she was going to speak to the boss. When she did, he immediately pulled her into Mean Jean's office where they closed the door and discussed the situation. Of course, I wasn't invited even though I had been the one to ask the important questions and it was me we were looking to replace.

Apparently this lady has been attending a practice company here in town in order to gain experience for the workplace. While I think that idea is great to prepare people for entry level positions, I don't believe that they prepare them for a position as critical as mine. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, it's certainly not brain surgery, but it's definately not an entry level position either.

If she understood the language and could communicate proficiently I'd have no problem with her but that's just not the case. So after an afternoon of phone calls between the co-worker and Mean Jean they've decided not to hire her. I felt terrible for the girl. She was probably so excited about finding a job only to have the rug yanked out from beneath her feet before she even started. On top of that, they've been discussing the lack of progress that my co-worker's replacement is making and how poorly she's doing. They suggested that maybe they should find someone else for the accounting position and move the accounting girl that can't answer the phone over to replace me. ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

This is a new level of stupidity, even for Mean Jean. What the heck made her think that she'd find a suitable employee for a Sales/Purchasing job in the six month old reject pile of resumes for an accounting position? She has no idea what I do but she is too stupid to even ask. How the hell was I supposed to train a person who doesn't even understand english completely?

From what I understand now, they're going to post an ad on the local job board but that means they won't likely get any replies until the end of the week and that gives me four days to train someone. They are so fucked. *evil grin* Oops, was that my outloud voice?

*chants* It's not my problem. It's not my problem. It's not my problem. It's not my problem. It's not my problem.

I'm so happy I'm getting out of there but I do feel bad for my co-workers that will still be there. The semi-retired guy I work with has been threatening to leave too and he told me today that he's likely going to give them his notice on my last day. *tries hard to stiffle a giggle* Poor Mean Jean.

20 Comments:

Blogger mtw said...

Wow! That's unbelievable. I didn't realize there were people that stupid in private industry. I thought we had the market cornered here in state government.

And yes, in state government, inability to communicate with customers is sometimes considered a prerequisite.

Tue Apr 04, 07:33:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Hee! Revenge is sweet!

I feel badly for the others at your company, but definitely not for that bitch Mean Jean. What a moron!

Tue Apr 04, 08:05:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Swami said...

Mean Jean sounds utterly clueless and incompetent! I am so glad you are out of there, Lights!

Like you said, it's not your problem! Say goodbye and never look back.

Tue Apr 04, 08:11:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger mm said...

*chants with Lights*

It's not your problem, it's not your problem...:D

Whew! Looks like you will get to have the last laugh, Lights! *evil grin*

Tue Apr 04, 08:33:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger momma said...

Wow. That's unreal. I think Mean Jean may have possibly managed to upstage the ignorant hiring practices of my plant manager.

*chants It's Not My Problem* with Lightsy

Tue Apr 04, 10:45:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger momma said...

Just out of curiousity, does your boss realize Mean Jean is sabotaging his company? Do you think he'd fire her and try to keep you on?

Tue Apr 04, 10:46:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Bravie said...

*snort* I'm sooo gonna miss Mean Jean. I really am.

Tue Apr 04, 11:28:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Puffy said...

*Joins in the chanting: It's not my problem, it's not my problem*

*evil grin*

Wed Apr 05, 02:15:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger lights said...

Momma, Mean Jean is married to the boss and owns half the company. The boss is totally spineless and won't stand up to her. He knows how incompetent she is but is too afraid to stand up to her. She's running the company into the ground. Everyone who leaves states her as their reason. It's really quite pathetic.

At this point I don't even want to stay here. I'm totally looking forward to my new job (and paycheck and benefits) even though I've got the new job jitters happening. I haven't started a new job in 20 years so I guess I'm justified in feeling a little nervous about it. I'd love to hear that everyone feels this way. *grin*

Wed Apr 05, 07:26:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I'm so glad you are leaving that zoo. I hope Mean Jean continues to dig her own grave.

Wed Apr 05, 10:36:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Sonya said...

So you have to train her? I hate that crap.

Happy Hump Day!

Wed Apr 05, 11:01:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Seana said...

Oh, "the boss's wife". I get it now. My sister was "the boss's daughter" for a while: can't really do the job, mostly tries, but knows she can't be fired, so isn't as good as she would be if she made more of an effort.

Happy for you.

Wed Apr 05, 11:55:00 a.m. EDT  
Blogger Lasann said...

Is it wrong that I find you story just absolutely wonderful. Sometimes I like to see management be such fuckups.

Wed Apr 05, 12:43:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Breezy said...

Unreal. Here's hoping they don't fill the position before you have a chance to train someone.

Wed Apr 05, 04:38:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I'm dying to know what they said when you said you were leaving. Have you actually been working for this company for 20 years? Was Mean Jean there the entire time? Has she got worse recently?

I do feel sorry for the Chinese woman though. That was utterly awful to offer her the job and then take it back that afternoon. Jeez. I think that might just kill me.

They are going to miss you SO much when you are gone.

Wed Apr 05, 07:09:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Puffy said...

Pre-new job nervous jitters are perfectly normal. But I didn't think that you were normal, anyway. :)

Thu Apr 06, 01:32:00 p.m. EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too darn funny.

Don't give 'em your new office number because they will likely call you with questions, etc.

That happened to me, and I thought I was going to kill someone.

Thu Apr 06, 01:34:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger lights said...

Bob, Mean Jean has been a co-owner of the company for the entire 20 years I've been there. It's only been in the last 4 or 5 years that she's started sticking her nose into things she knows nothing about. In the last year or two it's become really nasty.

Mean Jean only comes to the office in the morning so I made sure that I gave my notice after lunch last Friday. The boss (her husband) took it remarkably well and wished me well while telling me how he turned down a 90K per year job in 1978 to buy this company. My inner voice was saying "Not such a good move in hindsight, huh?" but I managed to keep my mouth shut. I have no desire to get into a shouting match with her. She came in on Monday morning and acted as if nothing had changed. She still hasn't wished me well or made any comment concerning me leaving, other than the search for my replacement.

This morning she told me that she had a girl coming in for an interview and told me that she thought this one would be good because her handwriting was very legible, which she learned many years ago was a sign of stability. *rolls eyes*

The girl who came in had zero office experience and has been working in a deli at the grocery store for the past 9 years. *rolls eyes again*

While I was talking to the deli girl, Mean Jean was talking to a co-worker about finding my replacement. He told her that my job was not an easy job to which she peered at him over her glasses and phffftted him. She deserves every single bit of hell that she's going to go through in the next few months.

On top of all of this, she's finally decided that the accounting lady isn't learning the job quickly enough and gave her two weeks notice. The accounting lady is the third person Mean Jean's hired for this position in the past 6 months.

Mean Jean sets people up for failure by hiring the wrong people. What she did to the Chinese lady was disgustingly mean. I felt really bad for her too.

I know this all sounds like I'm exagerating but I couldn't make up this shit. Unfreakingbelievable!

Five more days! *huge grin*

Thu Apr 06, 06:16:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger moon said...

Congrats to you, Lights! Smack your hiney at Mean Jean before you go out the door, lol!

This has been a long time coming and I'm really really happy for you! AFter the first coupla weeks at your new job it will seem like you were always there. Less the Mean Jeaness, of course :)

YAY!!!!

Sat Apr 08, 01:56:00 p.m. EDT  
Blogger Coco said...

Lights, I just .heart. you and your little dog too.

Mean Jean can go suck a puck. What a whistleass.

Sat Apr 08, 10:33:00 p.m. EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home