My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, March 28

Patience is a virtue

First of all, I want to say a big thank you for all of you who've been sending good luck thoughts my way. I still don't know if I got the job so if you wouldn't mind keeping those fingers cross a little longer, I'd really appreciate it.

I woke up this morning with a very calm, meant-to-be kind of feeling about today's interview. At noon I left work and went to my sister's to get changed into my new power suit, hoping that it would bring me lots of luck. I didn't have enough time to have lunch but I probably wouldn't have felt like eating then anyways so I changed and headed to my appointment. I was a little early so I drove in circles to waste time. As I was getting out of the car my friend (the manager) was walking to the entrance so I said hello and asked how she was. She said she'd been better because she has a couple of pinched vertabraes and she'd just been told she has to spend two weeks FLAT on her back. We talked about it a bit and she wished me luck and I wished her a speedy recovery and she went on her way.

The HR assistant saw me first and told me that she wasn't going to hide it, that they were VERY interested in persuing an employment relationship with me. She took down all the info required for the background check and said that they'd like to finish this up by the end of the week. I was getting the feeling that I had the job as long as my references and background check were good. Through all of this I was playing it cool and trying not to get too excited because I wasn't sure if I was reading what she had to say correctly. My gut instinct was that the job was mine as long as everything checked out okay, which I am confident it will. She also said that they hoped to finalize this by the end of the week.

Next I went to see the lady that would be the boss. She wanted me to meet the Maintenance Foreman who I'd work closely with if I got the job. We met and he started saying things like, "You'll be doing this and you'll be doing that." The boss lady interupted him and added, "If I was the successful candidate" and then went on with the questions. We chatted and everything went quite well. I was paying much more attention to her this time because I wanted to try and decide if I'd be happy with this woman as my boss. I was pleased with what she had to say.

After the Maintenance guy left we discussed a few more things and then she asked if I had any questions. I asked about benefits and a few other things. Then I asked what the next step was. She said that they had talked about having a panel type interview next week when the HR manager returned but weren't sure if they'd do that. I then asked how many people were still in the running for this position. She hesitated a minute and then said that I was definitely in the top three. My gut thought was that she might be trying to be cautious but it's difficult to read someone that you don't know all that well.

So by Friday I'm guessing that I'll hear one of three things. Either a yes or a no or a come back for a panel interview. I can't imagine why they'd want to have another round of interviews at this point. I've already spoken to her twice and to four other people once. What ever happened to a one-person interview and a decision?

I found out that the potential boss lady had recently been promoted to the Purchasing Manager's position and before that she held the position that I'm vying for. My sister said that this could be the first time she's had to hire someone and could just be doing the cautious thing because of that. Who knows?

All I know is that I really want this job but I won't give up if this doesn't work out. If nothing else, I've received a big boost in my self confidence and I've realized that I am very ready to move on. Last summer when I came in second for a different job I don't think I was ready. I wanted the job and I would have accepted it if offered but I wasn't totally ready. Now I am. And at the very least, I got a great new suit out of the deal and if I do say so myself, I looked great!

As a side note, after the interview I had to go to an auto wreckers to pick up a part for Jamie's car. Jamie had called them and asked me to take the old part in so they could match it. There was some confusion about where I was going and I ended up at the wrong place the first time. When I left there and called him to say that they didn't have the part I found out I was at the wrong place. While talking to Jamie on my cell I saw the truck go by for the correct place so I tried to find a place to turn around and follow him. I couldn't so I ended up finding the place on my own. Have you ever been to a wrecking yard? When you show up in a business suit they look at you like you're from outer space. I stood there waiting for them to try to find the part aware of all the stares and trying not to rub up against anything. I was quite happy to get out of there even though I didn't come home with the part.

Again, if you can keep those good thoughts heading my way for a couple more days, I'd really appreciate it. I realize now how much I need to make a move and I really want this to be the move I make. Thanks for all the good thoughts. You all are the bestest!

16 Comments:

Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Oh! Oh! Oh!

I am so excited for you. It sounds so good. Ack, it must be awful not to get too excited about this when they are basically acting like you are hired.

Minor advice. If you don't get it, find out who did. I had a friend who thought he had a very good chance at a prof job, didn't get it. They did give the job to someone with 5 years experience (vs 0) who came with 5 grad students and full research projects, so he didn't feel so bad.

Tue Mar 28, 07:17:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
I'm so excited for you. I am keeping my fingers crossed. *smooch*

Tue Mar 28, 07:25:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mtw said...

I'll keep up the good thoughts, but I definitely have to uncross my fingers! They've been crossed for days now, and it's affecting my everyday life.

Have you ever tried to play tennis with your fingers crossed?

Tue Mar 28, 08:03:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Sounds like it went great! I'm sure they were just being cautious in case something didn't check out (which doesn't sound like it would be a problem)!

*crosses everything*

*sends the best of vibes*

Tue Mar 28, 08:15:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger momma said...

Yay! I was so hoping you had updated on the job interviews. The boss lady could be very protective of the position since it used to be her job. I've been in that position before, and it's hard to deal with because you don't think anyone can do it better than you did, even though you've moved on.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!!!

Tue Mar 28, 10:17:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Sweet, Lights! I sure hope you get the job!

I've had my fingers crossed. I've been sending out good vibrations so hard I think I need new batteries.

Tue Mar 28, 11:49:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Breezy said...

Yay!!!! More good thoughts and vibes coming your way. *smooch*

Wed Mar 29, 08:13:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Zombs said...

Does sound good for you!

At the very least you had experience interviewing. No matter how many jobs or interviews someone has been on it only helps you improve!

Hopefully this will work out for you!
Did you send a thank you?

Wed Mar 29, 11:45:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Puffy said...

I'm keeping everything crossed for you. This is so exciting. Let's just hope they don't read your blog. :)

Wed Mar 29, 12:23:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Lasann said...

I think you are definately going to get the job. I would hate the interview with multiple people. I don't like people staring at me. I always feel I have a snot ball falling or something.

Wed Mar 29, 03:04:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Sounds like the job will be yours and that they are just being extra cautious.

*still sending hopeful thoughts anyway*

Wed Mar 29, 03:34:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Seana said...

Good for you. Sending good thoughts!

But...won't you miss Mean Jean?

Wed Mar 29, 03:44:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Emily RugBurn said...

Add me to the list of Those Who Are Crossing Their Fingers For You!

~ EmRB

Wed Mar 29, 04:48:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

Good luck, Lights. After so much time with Mean Jean, you deserve a break.

*big smooch*

Wed Mar 29, 06:43:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

I'll be crossing stuff for you, too!

*crosses everything*

*smooch*

Thu Mar 30, 02:21:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Still no word. I'm not going to panic until tomorrow. I know they've contacted a couple of my references already. Thanks for all the good wishes. I appreciate all the good vibes I can get. I really want this.

I'm getting a new computer today at work so I won't likely be online much, if at all.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Thu Mar 30, 07:36:00 a.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home