My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Friday, November 25

Anyone else have a work husband/wife?

Dan is my "work husband". We've worked together for over 20 years and we have days where we fight like we're married, days that we have a flirt-fest, days that we don't speak to each other, and days that we work really hard to make things better around here.

Some background. Dan's wife's parents were friends with my Grandparents and I grew up hearing all about Lori and Dan. They ended up moving to my old hometown and live near my parents. In January 1985 I started working here and got to know him. We've always joked around and got along well. Lori is a sweetheart too. They have no children, just dogs. She loves to travel and he doesn't so she travels with her friends and he stays home and goes fishing. They have their own sugar shack and make Maple Syrup in the spring and they spent this whole summer building a beautiful new home.

In the past few years we've both had much more responsibility added to our jobs and that was when we started having days where we didn't get along. So far we've always made up though. He's a little bit old-fashioned and he tends to treat me like his personal secretary at times but I don't let him away with it for the most part. He's learning. I did order flowers for Lori's 50th birthday last week for him but that was more because he wanted me to use my credit card because he doesn't have a one (even though they don't hurt for money) and I used to work in a flower shop. I really didn't mind doing that for him. But if my boss had asked me to do that I would have been pissed and told him to go piss up a rope.

My female coworker and I tease him constantly. He's the shop foreman and normally wears coveralls but once in a while he has a pile of office work to do and he comes up to the office wearing his jeans. It's so cute to see him blush when we whistle at his bum.

8 Comments:

Blogger mm said...

Sounds cute. I haven't worked full time in an atomsphere with other men for awhile, but I do flirt with my boss, and we sometimes get agitated at eachother. That's as close as I can come to your work husband. I like yours better.

Fri Nov 25, 12:48:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

I used to until he left the company. It was all very safe because he was a gay man and also friends with Michelle.
Now I have John. He is more of a brother than a husband though. Although he sears I owe him a BJ for a favor he did for me. He has a bond with Michelle too. They both share a fondness for midgets. *shrug* I guess he is the closest I have to a work spouse.

Fri Nov 25, 01:46:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

No work spouse. At the last place I worked, all the guys in our dept. were vile and at this place, one is vile and one is shy. And the janitor has a wall eye.

Fri Nov 25, 07:17:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Monstah said...

No work spouse here, Lightsy. But then again, I am not what we would call career driven.

I use to have a hair spouse in Nunzio but then he up and left me for another salon in Paris.

Sat Nov 26, 07:42:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Sonya said...

I use to at my old job.

Sat Nov 26, 11:04:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

I have a work husband and we get along pretty well. In fact, sometimes we just go at each other like rabid rabbits. But it's okay because I work from home. In business my husband and I own.

When I was on my own in the Wide World of Work I was always the husband & never the wife. It's a dominance thing, I guess.

Sat Nov 26, 11:48:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

LOL @ Swami.

The girl that I work with is leaving in a couple weeks and her replacement seems confused about my relationship with Dan. Sometimes I think she actually believes that there is something going on between us. That just makes him play it up all the more. He is such a tease.

And even though Dan isn't gay I still look at him as being quite safe. We're just good friends. Even on the days when we're not speaking. *snicker*

The co-worker who's leaving finally officially came out to me a few weeks ago. There was never a doubt in my mind but she had never actually told me that Steph was her partner. It was never really an issue for any of us.

They went to Turks and Caicos at the beginning of the month and when she got back she told me prior to showing me her pictures. She said she didn't want to show Dan because of the rather obvious lack of men in the pictures and she didn't want to be put on the spot with questions. It felt good that she trusted me enough to tell me. We've been great friends during the five years we've worked together and I don't expect that to end once she leaves.

I still snicker every time I think of the time, a few months after she started, when I was joking about being tongue-tied and not being able to stick my tongue out. I joked about making a lousy lesbian and, if I remember correctly, she did think that was pretty funny. I'll have to ask her if she remembers that.

Sat Nov 26, 02:42:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

I've never slept with a woman who was tongue tied. I wonder if Momma has. *snicker*

Sun Nov 27, 11:47:00 a.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home