My Photo
Name:
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada

Friday, December 16

There goes the neighborhood

For Seana and anyone else who didn't hear about the excitement in my sleepy little neighborhood this summer. My house in on the highway and there are 5 homes in a row. We're spaced out fairly well but we're fairly close by boonie standards. The first house is a tiny little thing and it's owned by Buddy. Iris is his common-law wife. Her dad lived with them. During the summer, like us, they'd live at their cottage.

On Labor Day weekend we were out floating around in the middle of the lake when the cell phone rang and we heard that Iris's dad had been murdered in the house. Then we found out it was Buddy's son that shot him. I was totally freaked. I still can't believe that it happened. The freakiest part is that this time a year ago, Buddy and his son were borrowing our garage to do a bunch of work on a car. I still find it difficult to wrap my head around the thought that a murderer was on my property. Well, technically he wasn't a murderer then, but you know what I mean.

The son asked Dave what he owed him for the use of the garage and Dave told him to give us each a tattoo (seeing as the son was a tattoo dude) and he'd call it even. The first thing I thought of when I heard was "There goes our tattoos!" *snicker*

The house sits empty now. It wasn't much of a prize to begin with. There's a river that runs past (read: through) it and last summer it flooded and washed out the highway. That family has very bad luck. I'd be afraid of next summer arriving if I were them.

14 Comments:

Blogger Zombs said...

You know, just last night I said to DH I never knew anyone named Buddy. If you believed TV you would think that Bud and Buddy were some of the most poplular names. Hmmmm...I mean do you look at your newborn and say "Buddy!"

Fri Dec 16, 04:04:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger mm said...

Ick, that sounds creepy. So, what kind of tat were you gonna get?

Fri Dec 16, 04:28:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

Okay, I will not be moving in next to you. ACK!!!

Fri Dec 16, 04:30:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Seana said...

Holy crap. That *is* creepy.

Did you sell your house? Did you move? There were a couple people who moved this year, weren't there?

Fri Dec 16, 05:00:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Swami said...

Oh, I remember you talking about that! So freaky when kids you know grow up and go bad. One of our neighbor's sons is a 2x armed robber. I've given him soup & sandwiched for lunch many times when he was a kid.

So, when the murder gets out are you goi8ng to hold him to his promise? Or maybe he could do you during visiting hours at the Big House. I mean -- free tatoos!

Fri Dec 16, 05:03:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Swami's right! You could get even better tatoos now.

Fri Dec 16, 05:53:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

LOL Zombs, his real name is Raymond Raymond. I guess his parents thought that would be cute. It's just a nickname but now that I think of it, he's the only Buddy I know that doesn't have four legs and a tail.

I'm not sure if I would have gone through with getting a tattoo from him or not. He was kind of weird. He had major addictions to pain meds after having his legs broken somehow. It's been rumored that the broken legs were drug related too. Buddy was trying his best to straighten him out but there's only so much a parent can do.

If I did get a tat it would be something small, maybe a little red maple leaf, and I'm not sure where but it would be inconspicuous.

I'm hoping to move soon Carey. I'll try to make sure there have been no deaths nearby so you can come and visit. *grin*

Haven't sold yet. We are trying to sell privately for now. If we don't get any bites by late spring we'll likely list it. Our location is against us being out here in the middle of nowhere.

I have a feeling that by the time he ever gets out I'll be past the age where I'll want to get a tattoo. He's got a murder charge and an attempted murder against him because after he shot Iris's Dad he drove to Sudbury and tried to kill another guy. *shudder*

It was very bizzare for something like this to happen here. The crime rate here is very low, really.

Sat Dec 17, 03:53:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

I would muchly appreciate that. *wink*

Sat Dec 17, 06:13:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Coco said...

That's disturbing. Too bad about your tattoos.

I have a little red maple leaf.. do you want to be just like me?

Sat Dec 17, 08:13:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Seana said...

The crazed killer thing might hurt your property values. Maybe he was drunk, the opposite of what I am now.

Sat Dec 17, 11:51:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Bravie said...

I think thou protests too much, Seanna.

Sun Dec 18, 09:27:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

Absolutely Coco! I strive to be just like you. Except for the pregnant part. *grin*

*passes Seana a drink*

Mon Dec 19, 07:22:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Schnookie said...

One of our stray cats is named Buddy. I think I'll change it now LOL.

Creepy stuff Lightsy and it sucks that you won't be getting your tats now.

Mon Dec 19, 09:40:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger lights said...

I hadn't completely decided if I was going to get one anyways. Dave had planned to get a zipper around the scar from his rotator cuff surgery.

My friend Nicky got one on her ankle after she donated a kidney to the sister. They both went and tried to talk me into going with them. I wasn't ready then.

Mon Dec 19, 02:20:00 p.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home